Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the group. Have a new 06 ZZR600 with over a thousand miles now. In that time, while shifting through the gears(2nd-6th), it has gone into neutral 7 or 8 times. Is this something I'm doing? Maybe half steping between gears? Has this ever happened to anyone else.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I've had something like that happen a couple times, not just on this bike...I don't know if it is in actual neutral per se or just catching between gears...I'm not sure what to call it, someone help me out.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It's called a "false neutral", because it isn't really neutral. It's usually the result of being a bit lazy with the gearshift.

Just be a bit more positive with the gearshift and it will happen less. Having said that, 7-8 false neutrals in 1,000 miles isn't really such bad going either. :)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I do it all the time. I go from 2nd to neutral by pushing it half way down and bypassing 1st gear.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Chopperpilot is talking about getting a false neutral between, say, 3rd and 4th. Not the actual Neutral, which is between 1st and 2nd.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to keep my shifts firm. I kinda had a feeling the way I was shifting had something to do with it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Not a big concern. It's happened to me on all of my bikes (Yamaha, Ducati, Aprilia....and Kawasaki. And yeah, like someone said above, it's just being a little lazy (light footed) on a shift. It's usually no big deal, you just want to be sure you don't do it in the middle of a turn (that can be a little scary!). When ever I end up with a "false neutral," I usually try to slow down to about 10 mph or less, then click it back into gear. If you try and shift back into gear at higher speeds....it can REALLY slam the gear train (it sounds horrible). Anyway, there isn't anything wrong with your bike. Later, Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.