1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(1) Put some miles on it
(2) Get used to a Kawi gearbox
(3) Switch to a synth oil once you get some good miles into it

(4) Use your Gixxer as a lawn ornament... or a coatrack... or... well you get the picture... [}:)]

·
Registered
479 Posts
I couldn't stand it anymore so I took the bike out for its first official flogging today and I noticed something kind of alarming.
When blasting away in 1st, it is incredibly easy to tap it into nuetral. It happened twice, at around 9500RPM my toe just grazed the pedal as I was moving into position to grab 2nd and the bike jumped into nuetral. I can barely get the damn thing into nuetral when I am coasting along but when nuetral is the last thing on earth I want...BINGO, redline city!! Has anyone else noticed this? I am going to start re-training my left foot tomarrow, after all its not the bikes fault, although I am getting a little irritated with Kawasaki's gearbox!!!
BTW, I have had a 750Gixxer since '99 and this 636 is quicker! I am now thinking about selling the Suzuki if I can get this gearbox thing sorted out, so any advice would be apprieciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cant speak for the newer 6's but on my '98 zx6r it would shift into nuetral all the time, but when i replaced my clutch it only happened for a bit while I broke it in. Hasnt happen since.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It will quit after you run it hard. It doesn't like sissy shifts. I had the same issues until I did my first trackday on it. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Originally posted by scootergmc

It will quit after you run it hard. It doesn't like sissy shifts. I had the same issues until I did my first trackday on it. Haven't had a problem since.
Good, because I have started beating the shit out of it already. Why have a bike like this if you aren't going to? There is no track close by so we all use the twisty roads aroung the marina and lake. The chicken strips have got to go!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Are you guys talking about the 03 636? cause I keep hearing about this fake neutral but it hasn't happened to my. I'm just wondering cause is this something I should be expecting?

Thanks,

·
Registered
479 Posts
Originally posted by Boricua3174

Are you guys talking about the 03 636? cause I keep hearing about this fake neutral but it hasn't happened to my. I'm just wondering cause is this something I should be expecting?

Thanks,
Yeah its the 636 but if this is your first bike or you've always ridden Kawis, don't worry about it. I have this problem 'cuz I have always ridden Suzuki's, the GSXR takes a little more foot pressure to shift. I think my problem is that I have to re-train my left foot to be a little more precise with my shifting habits. I'm sure if I always had a Kawi, this would not be an issue.

·
Registered
355 Posts
[/quote]

Yeah its the 636 but if this is your first bike or you've always ridden Kawis, don't worry about it. I have this problem 'cuz I have always ridden Suzuki's, the GSXR takes a little more foot pressure to shift. I think my problem is that I have to re-train my left foot to be a little more precise with my shifting habits. I'm sure if I always had a Kawi, this would not be an issue.
[/quote]

See.. it's your own fault!!! j/k..

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't have a 636 but I have done this a couple of times as well. My question is how bad is it when this happens then you "pop" it in to 2nd. After feeling that I have hit "n" and bump it into 2nd it sounds really loud and awful!! Is this ok or not good at all!! I hate to slow down and then pop it into either 1st or 2nd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.