Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I found this forum not too long ago and its seems to me you all know what your talking about. So heres my problem, I have a '95 6R F1 and yest i was riding up the street not even a 1/4 mile from where I live and my bike just shut off all of a sudden. I tried to restart but the neutral light would not come nor would it turn over, then i looked down to see smoke coming out from under the seat and the damn thing was on fire?! I was able to get it out and wheel it back to my place and take a look at it, after i got the side panel off i looked in this service manual i got and it appears to be the fuel pump?? I'm not a mechanic by any means and the bike won't start at all now. Help please...
Thnx
-stomatic

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have exactly the same bike. Yeah, the fuel pump is under the seat kinda on the right side and it has a fuel filter attached to it. What was burning, wires or fuel? I don't think the fuel pump is serviceable. There is also a fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The smoke coming out was a light gray color, not real dark and i wasnt able to get the whole side panel off due to the lack of a socket set but i could see a piece that somewhat resembled the fuel pump in the service manual half burned away. There are melted plastic splatter all over, but no gas dripping out. I know this bike is way out of warranty, but if I called Kawasaki telling them what happened you think they might at least cover repairs? I mean the bike is completely stock and has only 7,500 miles on it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm no expert on warranties, but I'd think they are gonna tell you bring it in and they'll fix it, for many dollars. I doubt you had a fuel fire, as they tend to turn real serious real quick. Get your plastic and tank off and look for loose wires which may have started the fire. If nothing is obvious, get it to a qualified mechanic. Hopefully it's not too serious, but nothing should be taken for granted when fuel is involved. My 95 had some crazy jerry-rigged vacuum lines in place of fuel lines, which I didn't notice for a month until I changed the fuel filter. I shudder to think what could have happened if those hoses had worn through:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.