Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first bike sometime early next summer and I wanted to start my research early. I was first looking at a zx6r or cbr600rr but now I wonder if a ninja 250R would be a better choice. Im looking to buy the bike for mainly commuting around town to work and such and the occasional highway trip. My main concern is that the 250R wouldn't have enough power for the highway and that I would get bored with it within my first riding season.

What do you all think about the 250R and a riders first bike?

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
It sounds to me like you're expecting or waiting for someone to tell you to go ahead and get the 600.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just wanna make sure I get the right bike that I can safely learn on and enjoy. I've heard that the 250R gets old quick, and on the other hand I've heard starting on a 600 sportbike isn't the best idea. I'm plain old confused about what I should do.

Oh by the way I'm 18 if that matters.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm 26, weigh 114 pounds and bought the 08 250R as my first bike. I've gotten the motor broken in pretty well and get it out on the highway often. For me, it's got plenty of power. I can get it up to 80 no problem and it still has a ways to go. If you're looking at cruising places on occasion the bike will do it. Not like you should really be doing over 100 much anyway...

Even if you get the 250R and get bored with it after a year, that's no big deal. It served its purpose well as a first bike and got you trained in fairly well at what to expect, how to react, and how to be a good rider. I'm not bored with my 250 and I enjoy it a lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha ya I'm not looking to break 100mph. I think getting the 250 to start and learn even if I do sell it the following year could be a pretty good plan.

Thanks for the input Flik

·
Registered
89 Posts
Please read this first
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_sportbikes_are_NOT_beginner_bikes

The 250R is plenty fast on the highway. I thought it was a nub bike too and was ready for an upgrade until I finally broke 9k rpm. The 250 Redlines at 13,000 rpm and for me at least it's already hitting 90mph at only 10,000 rpm is already unreasonable fast on the freeway. For a brief moment when I tried it on the open freeway today, 65 - 95mph happened faster than any sudan I've ever driven. The only real problem I have is that the light little bike does get blown around alot on the freeway.

·
Registered
537 Posts
250 is a fine bike for a first bike or commuter and when you sell it should be able to break even specially if you buy a used one.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Other bikes you might consider are the 650R/ER6, 500R, or Versys. The three add a bit more power and should be more comfortable for 70mph+ riding, but aren't as likely (note that they still can, easily) to kill you as a 6r or 600RR. The big problem I had with the 250R is that even a pretty mild drop can cause the bike to get totalled out by insurance. Other than that, great bike.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My suggestion would be to go sign up for the MSF course in your area and get a feel using the bikes at the school. Usually 250 cruisers (I know a 250 cruiser is an oxymoron) but you will get a good feel for what you like/don't like and your comfort level.

You don't say where you are from so I don't know if your "occasional highway trip" is in SoCal and a race track or flatland KS and just a slab. I think you will find the 250 to fit all your needs at this point. Think about a good used one to learn on and get those first dings then go for you "real" bike. 250's hold their value and unless you trash it you should get back close to what you paid.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Get an older bike with some scrapes first to learn on if you don't already have dirtbike experience. That way you won't be kicking yourself in the teeth for dropping a brand new bike the first week. My two cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
All this info is very helpful, thanks everyone very much. I live in Mass. so the highways aren't that crazy. Speed limits on them are usually in the 55-65mph range. Also I do have dirtbike experience on a kx125. I've had it for a few months now and I'm no pro but I think I have the basics down failry well.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
I'll tell you a little story: Last Friday a friend of mine bought an '08 CBR 600rr (He's fresh out of MSF). I had to RIDE IT HOME for him as he wasn't confident riding it on the freeway yet. The dealer UPSOLD him the 600rr (A supersport bike mind you) because "Anything smaller isn't going to be good for freeway commuting". I liked it and was able to mess around with it a little bit getting back to his pad...

... Meanwhile we get back to his place and the first time he starts out he stalls it out and drops it (I guess that tight clutch is a little different than the 125cc's they have at the MSF course). For an hour I followed him around on my bike (A 250 mind you that I almost ENTIRELY use for freeway commuting) and watched him stall it out 30-40 more times and he wound up really frustrated. He's second guessing buying a RACE bike for his first bike and literally has been spending 2-3 hours riding it around the city trying to get used to it. He's afraid to death of it and only plans on using it to commute for now as the bike is too 'twitchy' for him. I loved the damn thing, but I've been riding for a while and I don't have to think about every action I'm doing (downshiffting, upshiffting, braking, etc.).

You realize most manufacturers offer regular SPORTbikes which are more daily-rider friendly and (by the sounds of the OP's original desire a LITTLE bigger than the 250) ie. the 500r, 650r, Katana's, etc.?

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just a thought

All this info is very helpful, thanks everyone very much. Also I do have dirtbike experience on a kx125. I've had it for a few months now and I'm no pro but I think I have the basics down failry well.
Give your insurance company a call and ask them two questions:

1. How much of a discount will they give you for "dirtbike experence . . . for a few months".

and

2. How much of a discount will they give you for passing a MSF course.

Just a thought:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
For an hour I followed him around on my bike (A 250 mind you that I almost ENTIRELY use for freeway commuting)
As for your concern about the use of an 08 250 on the freeways, Vex's words here carry a lot of weight. I am very familiar with his commute, as I live nearby his work, and my folks live nearby his home... it is a very serious freeway commute, where you need to keep up or you'll get run over. This is Southern California, and people drive fast around here. That said, I wouldn't be concerned about buying a bigger bike cause the 250 doesn't have enough power for the highway. It does.

And Vex, your friend must have been pissed... buying a brand new CBR 600 and dropping it right away? I'd hate myself! Of course I'd be pissed if I dropped my 08 250 too, but something tells me that CBR cost two or three times more :eek:. And dealers upselling a total newbie to a 600 supersport should be illegal. It won't be, but it should be. BTW, just curious, but was that your first time on a 600 supersport? And do you see yourself upgrading?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Give your insurance company a call and ask them two questions:

1. How much of a discount will they give you for "dirtbike experence . . . for a few months".

and

2. How much of a discount will they give you for passing a MSF course.

Just a thought:)
I was shocked... AAA (which I imagine is one of the largest insurance companies out there), doesn't offer any discount for MSF. :confused:

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
AAA got me like 5 bucks off for my entire year with MSF. That said, AAA goes through other companies for their motorcycle insurance. Not sure if it is on a branch by branch basis or not.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm looking to buy my first bike sometime early next summer and I wanted to start my research early. I was first looking at a zx6r or cbr600rr but now I wonder if a ninja 250R would be a better choice. Im looking to buy the bike for mainly commuting around town to work and such and the occasional highway trip. My main concern is that the 250R wouldn't have enough power for the highway and that I would get bored with it within my first riding season.

What do you all think about the 250R and a riders first bike?
The answer is fairly evident. A used ninja 500.

You could kill yourself with a ZX-6R as a first bike. The ninja 250 might be underpowered for you and you will probably get bored with it quickly.

Forget about the sportsbike look. The best compromise is a 500 becuase it has more than enough power, is rock solid and will last you for as long as you need it.

My $0.02

1 - 20 of 34 Posts