Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 09 ZX-10R, its my first bike and ive had no problems riding it so far. Been about 2 months and i love riding. I dont know much about bikes at all and i have a few questions I need answered.

One question is what kind of oil do i use when trying to change the oil myself? Dude at the shop wants $75 but i could do it myself just dont know what oil and filter to get and where to get it!

Second question is a problem with the bike. The bike tends to shut off randomly when im riding. Happens when im slowing down at a top light, or laying on the throttle. Any idea why that is?

If you have an answer to these questions id greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I use bike specific oil 10w50 and have no issues with it in my zx6. More than likely tho you'll want to run 10w40 synthetic bike oil. It's a pretty universal oil for bikes. And as far as the engine dying on u, it sounds like it may be the regulator/rectifier. These year models are known to have bad rectifiers and kawi issued a recall on them. Take it down to ur kawi dealer and see if ur bike has been serviced for it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
10W40 motorcycle specific. Walmart, auto parts stores, Internet.

I bet your idle is set too low. Find a thumb screw on the left or right side of the bike below the seat and forward a bit. Turn it clockwise to raise the idle to about 1200 rpm. My old GSXR 1000 did the same thing until I bumped the idle up. I had to prop the tank up on that bike to adjust the idle though. My Kawi, old R6, cruiser, and really most of the bikes I've worked on or owned have the idle adjuster protruding from under the frame to allow easy adjustment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips i appreciate it. I find the oil so ill go ahead and get that soon. The bike idles at about 1000 rpm right now. Ill see if i can bump it up if that does the trick.

Another theory i had was that maybe the bike wasnt warmed up enough before i started riding it? Most times i take off at about 134 degrees. I know these bikes get up to 200 degrees but should i warm it up some more?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Na 134 degrees is plenty warm. I usually wait till my temp gauge shows a reading (usually 104 degrees) then take off. Try bumping up ur idle to 1800-2000 and see how that works. If it continues to die, get ur regulator/rectifier checked out by a kawi dealer cuz they've been known to shut down these bikes randomly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yea defiantly try the idle thing. I bumped my idle once by accident and it shut off, a few times and when i noticed my idle was around 1000rpms. I usually keep it at around 1900. Never have had a issue with it around that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts