Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If anyone hasn't gotten an 08 250 and doesn't know what's available (or has an insurance check available), Cycle World has an article "Best First Bikes" this month.

There are plenty to choose from;

Honda CRF230L
Honda Nighthawk
Aprilia SportCity 250
Kawasaki Ganja 250
Yamaha WR250X
Suzuki GSX650F
Suzuki SV650
Harley Davidson 883 Sporty

They have the good, the bad, and the specs.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The cello, violin and viola are all from the string instruments with the violin being the smallest and easiest, to the Viola which is slightly harder and big and the cello which is quite big and the hardest. I'd say you should start with the violin and make your way up, you can swap if you want. But I think the best instrument you can play is the flute personally, I've been doing it for seven years and it's great and really easy as long as you can blow into it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The cello, violin and viola are all from the string instruments with the violin being the smallest and easiest, to the Viola which is slightly harder and big and the cello which is quite big and the hardest. I'd say you should start with the violin and make your way up, you can swap if you want. But I think the best instrument you can play is the flute personally, I've been doing it for seven years and it's great and really easy as long as you can blow into it.

Thanks a lot, now everyone is going to bitch about the string family.

HIJACK!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always thought you were gay. Thanks for acknowledging it.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Apparently even Cycle World forgets that Yamaha and Suzuki also make 250cc cruisers. Yamaha's Virago 250 is now part of their "Star" line and Suzuki's never stopped making their GZ250.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The GZ 250 is what I rode in my MSF class...it was a cool bike for cruiser.
The Yamaha (or Star) 250 cruiser is a great bike too. I learned to ride on a 1982 Yamaha 250 Exciter, which was basically the same bike they sell today. With a hell of a lot more technology (although the Exciter was extremely reliable even way back then.) Yamaha and Suzuki have had decades to refine those bikes and they don't have anywhere's near the problems that you find on a completely redesigned bike like the Ninja 250R.

·
Registered
333 Posts
SV650 hands down one of the best bikes made. Stock suspension is horrible, but drop some race tech springs, change the rear shock, and you have a bike that with a good rider will eat up many of the posers on the bigger cc bikes in the twisties ;) They still hold their resale value well but are worth it.

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts
The GZ 250 is what I rode in my MSF class...it was a cool bike for cruiser.
The GZ and Rebel from the MSF were actually not bad except for the fact that I scraped stuff on them a few times doing turning exercises.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I own a fully street legal Honda 230F (dirt bike version of the 230L). This is one great dirt bike for trail riding and for dual sport use. The 230F is lighter, has more suspension travel (higher seat height) and geared lower than the L.

Good to know I own two the of the better fuel freindly bikes out there. Gas ain't gonna get cheaper, though it seems to have taken a slight break from rising prices lately. Don't expect that to last, though. :(

·
Registered
233 Posts
kkim, how is the 230F on the street? What speeds can you cruise comfortably atand have you re-geared it at all?
I ask because I too have a 230F, and seeing as they have shut down just about every place to ride down here (legally) I have given thought to converting it to street for a little fun.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Changed from a 13 to 14T CS sprocket which helps on the street and it's still be able to hit trails that are quite tight. The F is geared way too low... even for the dirt. Like the 250 Ninja... rejetting has helped tremendously in the fun factor of the bike. :)

I would check with your local laws to see how easy/hard it is in your area to get a dirt bike plated. A few years ago it was a bitch here in Hawaii. I bought mine used, already plated. I see a lot more converted dirt bikes now so it might have gotten easier. Like I said, check your local laws... or a nearby dirt bike shop.

Have you done the power up mods yet? If not, PM me and we can work it through there. Big diff in the bike after the rejet.

Looking to get a Works Performance shock for it in the next few weeks dependent on some job news that is supposed to be surfacing soon.

Great bike, eh?

·
Registered
233 Posts
The bike definately is geared too low from the factory. Of the few races I've been in around a track with friends, I find the bike MUCH quicker off the line starting from 2nd then first, which shows how low it's geared.
The first thing I did when I got the bike was the powerup kit ;) The previous owner had removed the exhaust baffle, but hadn't rejetted, so it was a priority for me as I'm sure the bike was running lean. I removed the intake baffle and installed the new needle and jet. The difference was HUGE.

The bike really is great, and since its an air cooled 4 stroke honda, you can run it into the ground and not have anything go wrong with it. I also have a '94 xr80r that I have abused the hell out of and it still runs perfect (which baffles me with how I treat it).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.