Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally toughed it and took her to the track (1/4 mile track). I have NEVER run this bike from a stop, so it was a learning experience. I have come to the conclusion that there is no feeling compared to launching a bike out of the hole..

Anyways, reaction times and 60fts are horrible. I guess that's to be expected for a first time, huh? Have a few pics and a couple vids if anybody's interested. I know that not a lot of people here are fans of drag racing on the bike :D

First run was a 12.2 @ 113. Not very impressive, but it was my first run ever and the guys at the ET Booth ripped my ticket accidentally, so I didn't get to have my "first et slip" :(

Second run:

Last run (because they had a shootout that took the rest of the night):

I wish I could've got some more runs in because that E/T just kept dropping as I got more and more comfortable.

Here are the videos:
http://www.vintagemotorcarstexas.com/kegger/postal/spork/July29/Postal_12.2ET.mpg
http://www.vintagemotorcarstexas.com/kegger/postal/spork/July29/Postal_12.0ET_vs_GSXR750.mpg
http://www.vintagemotorcarstexas.com/kegger/postal/spork/July29/Postal_11.9ET_vs_10sec_Busa.mpg

·
Registered
840 Posts
I know telling people how to ride is almost as dangerous as telling them how to fuck, but you could pick up more than half a second with your reaction time and from the sounds of the videos, you were using the clutch for your upshifts. By going clutchless, you are probably looking at saving another half second or more and a few miles an hour on your trap speed. So you've got another second at least right there. Good luck and be safe at the track.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, I'm all for advice. I was using clutch from 1st-2nd, and still learning the clutchless shifting for the rest. If I don't use my clutch for the 1-2 shift, I always miss it. And yeah, my reaction time is horrible on the bike. Not like racing a car. I'm hoping to get some more practice in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Right on. I always used to like deep staging. Roll in until you trigger both lights and then inch up until just the lower light is triggered. It will cut your reaction times because you are that much closer to tripping the lights. Keep trying to cut down your reaction time until you are redlighting during a deep stage. Then back it up and work on your times from the regular staging position once you get it down.

And I used to start off with my right foot down and my left foot ready to upshift so I was set after the launch. I know a lot of guys are only comfortable with both their feet down, but it was how I felt I could get set to shift quickest. And the secret to a fast 1-2 clutchless upshift is to preload the shifter. As long as you are hard on the throttle, the shifter won't move. Just keep steady pressure on the shifter. The second you snap back the throttle, it will just slide in. Repeat as necessary for the next 10 seconds. Work on only snapping the throttle back less and less during the clutchless upshifts. You'll see that once you preload the shifter, only a minimal reduction in throttle from WOT is necessary. And the more time you spend at WOT, the quicker your times will be. Oh, and try and keep the front end down.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the front end came up a little on my third run, but not too much. The track we had went to was horrible. Nobody gets traction and they put so much water in the box that it runs down the staging lines. It's poorly run, but it's closest to the house. Hopefully gonna be making it to a better track in a couple weeks, then I'll try again. I'll work on the clutchless shifting on the street. Thanks for the tips, man. It's appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just FYI, your reaction time has nothing to do with your ET. If you ever go watch the Buick Grand National boys run they sit there for ever building boost and then rip off a low 10 sec pass. But what will help you tremendously is working on that horrendous 60' time ;). They say that .1 in the '60 is .2 on the big end. Learn how to launch and watch your ET get better than you ever thought possible.

PS. More torward my original statement, the timing clock starts when you cross the line, not when the light turns green.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that he was saying that if you can react better it might help you launch better. I dunno.. I mean, I have been doing this for a few years, but before the bike it was a Mustang..

Anywho.. .1 in the 60 is .2 in the quarter, huh? I'll have to remember that. I was getting better with the launching, that's why my ET kept dropping while the trap didn't change too much.. Regardless, still kinda new to the bike, so I have more to learn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.