Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thursday before the Gainesville, FL AMA Prostar event I got to do my first tests of the new 2003 ZX6RR.

Only mods to bike were; lowered to 2" clearance, geared, Nutec fuel, Ballast added to make minimum weight. Best 60' was 1.55, best qtr = 10.29 @ 132.9mph. Bike only has 20 miles on odo and made 100 uncorrected hp on pump gas & probably only 105 uncorrected on Nutec (no time to dyno on fuel before leaving for event).

Next test will be the day prior to the April event in Atlanta, GA. with mods coming of; ceramic tranny bearings, Fox shock, Muzzy pipe, Kawasaki kit EMS, dialed in cam timing. Hoping to get the bike into the 9.90's at Atlanta and even quicker than my 2002 (best of 9.77) by the 3rd or 4th event of the season.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Dude, outstanding. [email protected]?! Nice. 20 miles on the odo. Wow. Pipe and remap that sucker, you'd be smoking. Way to be.

So this was the 6RR, not the 6R? Stock compression or did you put the race kit and bump up compression a bit?

Okay, I'm gonna have to work on that [email protected] mph time of mine (unlowered).

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow, that's very impressive. 100bhp stock on pump gas is strong. I am not familiar with the AMA drag race rules for 600's but are you allowed to machine the cylinder head or cylinders (as you can for road racing)? If so, there are gains to be had there. With my Supersport road race engines some of the biggest power gains (legally) are by reducing friction. I am assuming that as well as fitting the ceramic tranny bearings you will also fit oversize lower rod bearings and main bearings too.

I ran a 2001 GSXR600 in the AMA Supersport series last year and took the bike from 98bhp stock to 117 bhp in AMA trim (I suspect similar to the drag race spec). Nutec in the Suzuki (Special 5) made just over 4bhp more than pump gas with fuel mapping.

I am very keen to get my hands on a Kawasaki race kit ECU as I know the rev limit is increased. From what I have seen so far, with a good exhaust system the ZX6RR is still making strong power at the rev limiter. If I was a betting man I'll guess you won't be far short of 120bhp by the time you have finished. Good luck with your racing.

Garry Hayes
Team Hayes Racing
2003 ZX6-RR
2002 R1 Supersport racer
2003 TTR125L pit bitch

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Chip we got a 6r (636) and we got ours to go 10.30 but the 60' was not as good...

e-mail me maybe we can share some tricks I picked up 4 hp. just by changing a couple of things..

Also What RPM are you leaving at we are leaving at 6-7 but the best 60' is 1.66 the bike keeps boging...What gearing have you changed the bike too?

Chip what is the chance of getting a hold of one of those Kit EMS boxes??

Please e-mail me so we can talk in more detail...

[email protected]

Small But Quick As Hell

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leaving at about 10-11k. Went to 14/44 gearing & using all 6 and upped the shift light to 14.5 from how it came at 13.5

·
Registered
46 Posts
Humm we are at stock 15-40 and we are running 131

My bike makes 104.8 on Pump Gas Which Nutech are you using..

Small But Quick As Hell

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by 03-Black-6R

e-mail me maybe we can share some tricks I picked up 4 hp. just by changing a couple of things..

Please e-mail me so we can talk in more detail...
Hey, share it with us slugs here! [8D]

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Chip what about the ceramic wheel bearings???

Also did you do a 520 Conversion for the chain and sprockets?

1 more ? have you fitted the bike with the vacume pump yet??

Small But Quick As Hell

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bike has ceramic wheel bearings. bike came with a 520 chain & just used a stretched out left over from 2002 to replace the oem chain.

Can't use a vaccum pump per the rules. Wish I could.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes but they are very costly about $70 per bearing if my memory serves me correct...

70 X 5 = $350.00

Kinda high so if you are not racing don't waste your $$$ they give the 600 about 1-3 mph....

Small But Quick As Hell

·
Registered
349 Posts
I thought so. Ryan Schnitz used them on his J series 9 second 1/4 mile ZX6R streetbike.

Hey, where do you get ceramic bearings for our apps? Website? Thanks!

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes World Wide Bearings is a sponsor of mine, a very good one at that. Believe it or not but these bearings are in a lot of other race applications, some just won't admit it. Worth every penny if you are a serious racer.

They also offer street versions that require less maint. and are not as costly.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I drag race my J1 ZX6R (err, so did Ryan Schnitz). I'm just really damned slow. [xx(] Just starting out.

I'll be happy if I can crack mid/high 10s with my street 600.

I also weigh 180 lbs (and trying to gain 10-20 lbs of lean muscle mass), how much do y'all weigh?

'00 ZX6R silver

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.