Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2006 Z750S. Come to a stop sign and down shift to first, in doing so the shifter will not engage first gear. During this process the netural light does not extinguish. Had to start out in second gear. This issue is intermitent. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Getting the obvious out of the way, do you let the clutch out between downshifts? Did you let the clutch out while stopped? Did you try to rock the bike while stopped to get the gears to move around a bit? Did you try engaging the friction zone of the clutch to move the gears around? Does the neutral light turn off when you push the shifter down? You may have tried some of these, just making sure, sometimes it's the simple solutions that elude us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own the same bike and have this problem every once in a while, i.e. hard stops. I've found that releasing the clutch and then engaging it will allow me to shift to first.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i own a 2010 Z750, but i do have the same problem once in a while, and like workman, releasing and engaging the clutch works everytime.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Everybody seems to have it, and it's normal. Let the clutch out slightly then pull it back in and put it in gear. Even easier would be to just let it out completly, then back in and put the bike into gear.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
There are tons of threads on this very issue for all sorts of bikes.

Simply put, the motorcycle gearbox is not designed to shift at a standstill and you'd be lucky to get more than 2 gear clicks at a complete standstill.

You should be matching the gear to your speed anyways and if you aren't, it's a good habit to get into.
If you find yourself in the wrong gear at a standstill, let the clutch out a bit until the shifter clicks down. Practice this in a parking lot so you don't let out too much clutch and just run into the car in front of you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
bubbleboys has it right. I've experienced similar difficulty finding first on my bike, which I always remedied by either rocking the bike or releasing and re-engaging the clutch. Heck thinking back to the quad I practically lived on when I was a kid ('92 honda fourtrax 300), it would do the same thing too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts