Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I want to understand what happened, and what caused it.

Sunday, coming home from a group ride, was on the freeway, after a sweeping turn I accelerated from about 70mph. just as I started accelerate, the front tire hit a bump, caught just a touch of air, then back to the ground, and still accelerating, and my handlebars straight, the front tire oscillated back and forth, for a couple of seconds. minor, but it happened.

First time on any bike. 09 zx6r, has the OEM damper. should change something on the front suspension settings? more or less compression or rebound?

I've cracked the throttle like that a hundred times. wasn't pinning it, not even close.
thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It's just something that happens... the OEM damper sucks but in reality, you shouldn't even need one if your suspension is properly set up and you're not riding on the track. Dampers were invented so racers could accelerate out of corners over ripple stripples/curbs...

Best thing you can do is keep the throttle on or even accelerate more (especially if you can power wheelie) and make sure you're just lightly gripping the bars. Let the suspension do its thing and it will be over before you know it.

Of course, you can also have your OEM damper revalved but I race on a OEM damper and despite getting the odd headshake it doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
^ That's my suspicion as well. Even if it was ever so slightly turned, it would possibly wiggle a bit when it touches back down.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Was it windy out?

I had my first tank slapper/front end wobble a few weeks ago when it was super windy and I hit a bump accelerating.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
This happened to me when I had my 650r. Mid turn hit a speed bump. Wheel went off the ground, I just chalked it up to landing not straight and shitty suspensions. Wasn't too fun

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sounds like a typical day for me, at least when I'm on the track. No damper yet :p. I always get some headshake powering out of a turn. Front wheel will get a bit light, hit some uneven surfaces on the road or track, and you'll get some wobble. It's the nature of the beast.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,528 Posts
Ok, so I want to understand what happened, and what caused it.

Sunday, coming home from a group ride, was on the freeway, after a sweeping turn I accelerated from about 70mph. just as I started accelerate, the front tire hit a bump, caught just a touch of air, then back to the ground, and still accelerating, and my handlebars straight, the front tire oscillated back and forth, for a couple of seconds. minor, but it happened.

First time on any bike. 09 zx6r, has the OEM damper. should change something on the front suspension settings? more or less compression or rebound?

I've cracked the throttle like that a hundred times. wasn't pinning it, not even close.
thanks for the help in advance.

It is very possible that this can happen more severely and cause the bars to go back and forth rather violently. If you find yourself in this situation, DO NOT try to strong arm the bars into stopping. You will just transfer all of that energy through your body and most likely be tossed from the bike. Hold on loosely.

This guy is very fortunate. However, he fought the urge to try and muscle it and rode it out.

This guy, not so fortunate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well Can someone please tell me why my bike is wobbles when I go over 50mph or when I going like 30mph and take my hands off the wheel. I feel like i going crazy but it feels like something is wrong with my front wheel.. it doesn't appear to be bent. My boy says there is a slight bend in my rotor. Please help!!!

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,528 Posts
Well Can someone please tell me why my bike is wobbles when I go over 50mph or when I going like 30mph and take my hands off the wheel. I feel like i going crazy but it feels like something is wrong with my front wheel.. it doesn't appear to be bent. My boy says there is a slight bend in my rotor. Please help!!!

Sounds like your front tire may be cupped. How many miles on the tire? What pressure do you run in the tire?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mine does this as well if you let go of the bars at higher speeds, and I know others have had this "issue" as well. I believe it's just a characteristic of these bikes because of the aggressive steering angle (assuming everything else checks out). Someone else can chime in on this.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
If it wobbles when you take your hands off the bars like that there is something wrong with your bike. Either your tire is bad, the rim is bent or improperly balanced, or there is something loose or wrong in your tripple tree / front forks.

I can take my hands off the bars at 100mph and the bike doesn't care. Might get blown off the back if you hold your arms out though lol. I've done it several times slowing down from a high speed.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If it wobbles when you take your hands off the bars like that there is something wrong with your bike. Either your tire is bad, the rim is bent or improperly balanced, or there is something loose or wrong in your tripple tree / front forks.

I can take my hands off the bars at 100mph and the bike doesn't care. Might get blown off the back if you hold your arms out though lol. I've done it several times slowing down from a high speed.
This! So right I even rep'ed!:D

Also, if you get a strong headshake/wobble or whatever you wanna call it, PLEASE PUMP YOUR BRAKES AS SOON AS YOU CAN! The guy in the BMW on the video posted here earlier is a prime example... the front wheel shakes violently and that pushes the pads against the calipers. So next time you grab them, you have nothing. The bar will hit the lever and you'll get next to no brake power whatsoever!! I've seen many a rider crash like this at the track... no point saving the wobble and then crashing at the end of the straight!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
attachment, which is at the bottom of the page, before you post your reply,

or you can open an acct on photobucket or any other free web photo .com site, and then they give you a 'share' link, and you just cut and paste the

1 - 20 of 21 Posts