Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to try my first long distance trip (260 miles round trip) on the new bike (08 zx6r). I could only get about 80 miles/about an hour before I had to stop, all highway. How long can you go? Any suggestions for being able to ride longer or is this just the down side of having a sport bike

· Registered
233 Posts
Longest ride I did was 450 miles round trip and it took 7 hrs with two stops and lunch in the middle. My buddy and I went take a ride up to the next state for a ride we heard was pretty good for bikes. The road wasn't that great but we got some cool shots of our bikes over a cliff!! On the back roads I would ride sitting up or laying on the tank, on the way home when we were on the open interstate I would throw my feet on the passenger pegs and lay on the tank. When you get comfortable enough too you can cross your hands at times and throttle with you left hand, but it's not an easy task! The longer you ride, the better you'll get, and the more you'll be comfortable riding different ways.

· Registered
86 Posts
I bought my Duc 848 from Rochester, NY and rode it home to Boston, MA. That was 400 miles and I only made two stops for gas. I think it took about 6-7 hours.

You would think being on a duc it would have killed my back but surprisingly I was ok...its probably because I was so excited to have the bike and it was a nice sunny day. Perfect day to ride!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why did you stop? Were you feeling pain or just overall fatigue?

I've been on multi-hour rides on my 07 250r and haven't had to stop for discomfort reasons...

MOstly discomfort in my legs from being cramped in the riding position, I am 6'2". My arms were perfectly fine and I even bought a throttle lock, which I didnt get to install for trip, but no pain in my hans either.

I tried stretching my legs out front for a couple seconds throughout riding, but by mile 75-80 there was just a dull numbing pain that I need to stop and stetch my legs.

Hope I can get past this as I ride more, I have only been riding for about 2 months. I would like to be able to take trips without dreading leg pain and stopping frequently.

· Registered
930 Posts
Longest ride in one sitting was 8 hours, only stopped for gas.

I have gotten quite used to my zx6r and my body has conditioned itself for the aggressive seating position. It is usually the bike that needs to stop before I do (fuel etc)...

When I first started riding I couldn't go for very long, bad posture and bad technique. My wrists, back, knees, and even hips would be stiff and sore after a short time. But after my body conditioned itself to it and I learned proper posture and technique I can ride for as long as the bike will go without issue.

I guess my ass still gets kind of sore though.

· Registered
1,898 Posts
600 miles round trip in 2 days riding Double. Work up to it, change grips and bar end weights if needed. It helps!:D

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
Longest ride I ever did was 8-10 hours, don't remember.
Rode from Boston to Pittsburgh, and then after spending a day there, went to Philly. Spent a day in Philly and then back to Boston.

Did that trip on a Ninja250. Was fun.

Just recently took my 675 to Boston. One thing I like to do when it is open highway and fairly straight is hang my shins on the pegs. Reduces all cramping though as you can imagine, handling goes right out the window (thus the relative straights).

· Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
37,014 Posts
You will build up a tolerance with time but Generally these bikes arent long distance tourers. Sure you can do it, but its not what it was designed for.

· Registered
1,518 Posts
My problem is my ass. Always have ass pain no matter what bike I ride. On my 900RR, it was 30 minutes TOPS before my ass was so numb I couldn't ride. On the 636, I was able to go for about 45 minutes without needing a break. On the Z1000, longest I've gone so far was 2 hours. My ass definitely hurt, but it wasn't unbearable. Guess I have a soft ass. :D

12,887 Posts
^
Patton, you need to stop riding with a butt plug. :evil6:

My 675 stock seat was terrible. Literally a piece of wood and nothing else.
I had ass pain with just 10 minutes of riding.

Everyone pretty much upgrades their seat to the Triumph gel seat. It's kind of a necessity and now I can ride for hours and be fine. My legs get cramped before my ass hurts.

· Thats how I get down baby
1,286 Posts
good posture and little to no weight on your wrists are the keys to long distance. your legs and core should be supporting your weight not your wrists and handlebars. too much weight on your wrists/handlebars means numb hands and less control of your bike

12,887 Posts
good posture and little to no weight on your wrists are the keys to long distance. your legs and core should be supporting your weight not your wrists and handlebars. too much weight on your wrists/handlebars means numb hands and less control of your bike
^this

You should always strive to not put too much weight on your handlebars.
Weight on your handlebars equals steering input.
Unexpected bump can mean unexpected shift in weight on the handlebars.
Unexpected shift in weight on the handlebars can lead to unexpected steering input, which is bad.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.