Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I FINALLY picked up my 250r last night. After some drama trying to buy a black one (seller backed out last minute) I found a green one with 400 miles on it.

Came with a seat cowl and extended warranty, otherwise, bone stock.

After bringing it come last night (raining so we put it in the back of a van) I rode it around in the neighborhood for a while and then brought it in the garage to tinker.

Off came the reflectors, on went my red reflective rim tape (10mm if anyone wondered), and I took a dremel to the rear fender. I plan on getting the targa kit, but this will do for the meantime.

First impressions outside of my test rides: AWESOME, great little bike that should be perfect for my first bike. Green isn't my favorite, but I'm planning on painting it during the winter (white I think). I'm just mad it's going to rain the rest of the week, so riding time will be slim to none.

Worthless without pics, right?

Back in the garage after my first ride at home:

Dremel aftermath (needs clean up still):

Rimtape:

Back out to ride:

New Friends:

tucked in for the night:

Close up:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good. Good luck w/it. Were you smoking crack while put that rim tape on? Or were you just shootin' meth?:D:crackup:
I'm not sure I follow? It was super humid and that was fuckin with the camera's lens. The one side of that rim is the worst looking of all of them, it was the first one I did. I'll probably order another set of tape later and redo it.
Congrats on picking up the bike! I am curious why you chose red tape though. I hope some of the rain holds off and you get to ride!
Well I ordered the tape when I was all set to finish the process of buying the black bike, then when that fell through, I still had the tape. I actually kinda like it on the green, but when the bike's painted, it'll match better.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'd pull that rim tape off imo.. it really doesn't look good.... you may not like kawi green, but most people do, and tossing red with kawi green is a big no-no...

oh and get yourself some proper boots! You're ankles would be toast if you ever touched the ground going a reasonable speed

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I'm not sure I follow? It was super humid and that was fuckin with the camera's lens. The one side of that rim is the worst looking of all of them, it was the first one I did. I'll probably order another set of tape later and redo it.
Ok, I'll spell it out. The rim tape looks crooked in several places (most noticeably in the pic of the front wheel) . Hence, the joke about you possibly being high as a kite while putting it on. Just messin' around w/ya, that's all. Also, as said above, I'm not really feelin' the red tape w/the green bike. That's just my .02 though. If you like it, then it's all good. I would re-do it though...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd pull that rim tape off imo.. it really doesn't look good.... you may not like kawi green, but most people do, and tossing red with kawi green is a big no-no...

oh and get yourself some proper boots! You're ankles would be toast if you ever touched the ground going a reasonable speed
Boots will be ordered soon, waiting till I get paid so I don't drain the account too low :D.
Ok, I'll spell it out. The rim tape looks crooked in several places (most noticeably in the pic of the front wheel) . Hence, the joke about you possibly being high as a kite while putting it on. Just messin' around w/ya, that's all. Also, as said above, I'm not really feelin' the red tape w/the green bike. That's just my .02 though. If you like it, then it's all good. I would re-do it though...
Yeah, like I said, I'll probably be ordering new tape to redo it. I haven't worked with stickers like this so it was sort of a learning process. My rear job is better, but could use some work. Good thing it's cheap, I'll just order another set and go at it again in some better light.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You must be so happy!
There's nothing like riding your new bike :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Looks good. Good luck w/it. Were you smoking crack while put that rim tape on? Or were you just shootin' meth?:D:crackup:
Can you shoot meth? ;)

Seriously -- If you do a contrast color on wheel tape, you have to get it perfect.. It draws your eye from the bike right to the tape.. If it's not perfect it juse sticks out like a sore thumb...

Enjoy the bike tho!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Yeah, like I said, I'll probably be ordering new tape to redo it. I haven't worked with stickers like this so it was sort of a learning process. My rear job is better, but could use some work. Good thing it's cheap, I'll just order another set and go at it again in some better light.
Look at it this way. You'll have some experience w/it now. So, it will probably come out that much better.

Can you shoot meth? ;)

Seriously -- If you do a contrast color on wheel tape, you have to get it perfect.. It draws your eye from the bike right to the tape.. If it's not perfect it juse sticks out like a sore thumb...
I'm pretty sure that hardcore addicts shoot their meth (I'm not an expert though). You know, it's kinda strange how meth is such a "popular" drug down south, and up here there is basically no such thing. When I was a teenager, I ran w/some rough crowds at times. However, I never once encountered anyone selling, or using meth. Yet down south, I hear that you almost can't get away from it.:confused:

I agree w/the contrasting rim tape statement. It's gonna really stand out, so it better look good...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you shoot meth? ;)

Enjoy the bike tho!
Yeah, the more I look at it, I should have waited to put it on. Oh well. I'm gonna order another set today and try again.

My dad suggested wetting the stickers so I can move them around to get it right, would that work with these?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
yeah typically what you want to do when applying stickers is to get bottle full of water (like you would see at the barber shop) and put a drop or 2 of dish washing soap in with the water. mist the area that you want to put sticker/tape. this will make a nice lubricant that will dry up in the sun a couple hours later. it makes putting on window tint / vinyl stickers much much easier.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah typically what you want to do when applying stickers is to get bottle full of water (like you would see at the barber shop) and put a drop or 2 of dish washing soap in with the water. mist the area that you want to put sticker/tape. this will make a nice lubricant that will dry up in the sun a couple hours later. it makes putting on window tint / vinyl stickers much much easier.
Ah, yeah, I'll do that this time, I did these ones dry...haha.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My dad suggested wetting the stickers so I can move them around to get it right, would that work with these?
Depending on the type of Vinyl tape they use -- wetting it could possibly end badly for you...

If you plan on staying with a very bold color, try to find someone wit a super steady hand to help you out... If you Mute the color (ie. green on green) -- Just take your time, as minor mistakes won't stand out _as much_

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Depending on the type of Vinyl tape they use -- wetting it could possibly end badly for you...

If you plan on staying with a very bold color, try to find someone wit a super steady hand to help you out... If you Mute the color (ie. green on green) -- Just take your time, as minor mistakes won't stand out _as much_
I just noticed the watter and soap comment. I agree, I would look into this further before you try wetting the rim tape. I know that this technique is used in window tint and large vinyl decals (we actually use a special soap, for this where I work). I'm not sure if it's a good idea for rim tape though. If the instructions don't mention it, then I would send an email to the website that you buy the tape from making sure that it's ok to do.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts