Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my dealer informed me that they recommend the first oil change be performed at 1000 miles vs. the standard 500 miles.
Does this sound correct? I am reluctant to follow their suggestion, what do you guys/gals think?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just changed my oil at 300 miles, now its time to let her rip! There no way I would go 1000 miles with all of the little metal flakes in there from break-in.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
So far, I changed mine at 300 miles, 1000 miles and 3000 miles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Suppose to be at 600 but I did it at like 1k. It's not going to hurt your engine if you run it 1,500 miles these are not pansy weak engines they can handle it just fine without any consequence. But, I do reccomend that you don't put synthetic Oil in till you have atleast 5k miles. Your engine needs that extra friction to fully break-in. After that your free to do synthetic but remeber if you have the slightest oil leak you'll run out of oil so fast with a synthetic oil.:)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not going to hurt your engine if you run it 1,500 miles these are not pansy weak engines they can handle it just fine without any consequence.
i agree, well partially. there is not a doubt in my mind that the 636 can handle 1500 miles between oil changes, i feel confident that the 636 can go twice that amount, my concern was for the initial engine break in

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Originally posted by uuc328
Yesterday my dealer informed me that they recommend the first oil change be performed at 1000 miles vs. the standard 500 miles.
Does this sound correct? I am reluctant to follow their suggestion, what do you guys/gals think?
Where did you buy your bike?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kawasaki City, Irving Texas but i have not taken delivery yet.
As soon as i finish the A+ course i'll go pick it up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
most important to change earlier rather than later

Dont believe me? get an oil analasys done and find out how much metal is present...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by cas
most important to change earlier rather than later

Dont believe me? get an oil analasys done and find out how much metal is present...
where can you have an oil analysis done?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Changed mine at 500 and it was nasty as crap. Nasty enough that I changed it again at 1000. Still pretty damn nasty. Now at ~1500, the oil I see in the sight window is much better looking than what I drained before. It still even has that brown-tinted translucent look to it like out of the bottle, rather than black and gross.

·
Registered
17 Posts
500 for me.....then 1000. synthetic is okay after break-in period, but can't have additives because of the clutch. AMSOIL is the synthetic of choice. it will not allow slippage of the clutch. scout's honor. promise.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I started using Rotella 5-40w full synthetic right after break-in. Some people said to wait until 2500 but I didn't see that until after i had already switched and didn't feel like changing the oil again...no slippage or any problems thus far...i've got a faint engine ticking but I hear thats VERY normal for Kawis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.