Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
According to the service manual, the first oil change should be performed at 600 miles. For minimal wear, the oil should be changed much sooner, after the first few rides.

You can easily change the oil yourself. Check out this article.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I did mine twice by 1200 miles already... first one LONG before the 600 mile point to get out all the initial metal shavings.

And it's EASY to do an oil change yourself. I think somebody even posted a whole thread walking you through the process if I'm not mistaken - do a search for "how to change oil" or similar and see if you can dig it up, that might help ya. Basically, nothing to it.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Did the first one (oil & filter) after 15 laps at Little Talladega Raceway, which was a little over 20 miles. Then after that weekend of proper motor break-in :D did another change after 230 track miles. Next up came one at 500 and another at 1,000.

Chaos, panic, disorder......

my work here is done

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just bought my bike about a little over a month ago and already have close to 1200 miles on it. I've tried to take it into the shop twice already but they always have so many bikes in there that they keep screwing up the scheduling and say that they have to reschedule my appointment again. This is really starting to piss me off but it's not my question. My question is, if I'm this far over the limit for the first requested oil change, should I be in fear of ruining my bike already? I've heard mixed opinions about it and was basically told that it'll be fine, just take it in when you get the chance. Is this true? Should I stop riding it altogether until I can take it in?

My bike--> http://www.kawasaki.com/admin/uploadFiles/k_ninjazx6r_k_800.jpg

·
Registered
695 Posts
The hardest part about changing the oil, is putting all the plastics back. Do it yourself bro. Don't wait days and days for the dealer to do it just so they can overcharge you.

_________

2002 ZX6R NINJA!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
In addition to changing the oil, there are several maintenance procedures that should be performed at the 600-mile mark. You can do it all yourself if you follow the instructions in your owner's manual.

You may want to read the entire manual. It contains the answers to many of your questions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
doesn't anyone have a step by step procedure with pictures?? i have an 03 zx6rr with over 100miles. want to do one before the 600mile dealer thing.

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Seriously, it's not hard. Don't be afraid to get in there and get your hands dirty. Be careful when you remove those little round things on the bottom that hold the left and right sides of the fairings together (I don't know what they're called). They have a center pin that needs to be pushed in first, then you can pull them out without breaking anything. Other then that, if you've ever changed the oil in your car, it's exactly the same procedure. The link Rob posted is all you really need.

Edit: You'll also need yourself a set of torx drivers. If you don't have any, get them. A small flat head screw driver sometimes works but it's much better to have the right tool for the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.