Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, today was one of the best riding days of my short 6 month riding career. Amazing weather and so many other bikers. Saw at least three Busas, ~10 Yamis, ~ 15 Suzukis, three Ducs, an Agusta and even a 636! [:p] Most of the bikes out there today were cruisers but it was still awesome seeing every one out there.

My friend and I went to Skyline Drive, which has a bunch of twisties around it. But before gettin there, I got pulled over for my license plate. The 5-0 was following us for like 15 minutes before pulling my friend and I over. He asked me for all my stuff and I said "Sir" in every sentence so he asked me if I was in the military. I said "Yes, Sir" and he told me to have a good day and enjoy my ride [:p]. Didn't tell me to fix my plate or anything, even tho that's why he pulled us over.

As most of ya'll know, I've crashed twice now on the twisties. So today I got really nervous when going through them again. I took them extremely slow and just told my friend to go up on ahead. By the end of the day I had restored a lot of my confidence but I'm still a little freaked out by twisties, which sucks cause I love them. Anyone else go through this process? I'm assuming my confidence will come slowly back but does that feeling of nervousness ever go away?

I still had a lot of fun on the twisties tho, even if I was takin them at like 50/60mph rather than 70/80 like others were. And then on the way home I raced a Busa and a Suzuki. No matter what happens, triple digits will always be fun :D

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
After both my wrecks on the street i was pretty gun shy. I recommend you take the msf avandced course. It's really good for helping build back confidence in the bike

G

·
congrats. im sure the more u practice the faster u will gain back ur confidence and lose that nervous feeling. now u know what its like to go down and that will probably work to ur advantage as now u will tend to be even more cautious. i remember 2 close calls i had very early into my riding career. that helped me slow my ass down on the street. later on i realized i was riding too hard too early.

start slow to become fast :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
It'll come back gradually, but hopefully not all the way. As mean as it may sound, your confidence was a bit too high -- both times you fell down (remember that you've wrecked twice in 6 months, which is a LOT - I've wrecked twice in 25 years) was because you had more confidence than skill. I really hate guys that come on and tell people how to ride or that they aren't good enough for this or that, and I've never wanted to be that guy. But you've admitted that you dropped both times by pushing too hard. Pushing too hard is a result of over confidence. Work slowly toward that this time, instead of going balls deep like you have been. I like you and would really like to see you live for a few more years, and hopefully not throw your shit down the road every couple of months until you quit riding or die.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like you and would really like to see you live for a few more years, and hopefully not throw your shit down the road every couple of months until you quit riding or die.
Awww :D

Well thankfully I've got a friend (the one I rode with today) who is way more experienced than I am but he's also really patient. He's got a Triumph 1050 and could have pushed it a lot harder today but stayed with me and gave me feedback instead. Altho he did leave me once to go burn an R6 :D

Yea I just went through the most depressing 3 months of my life (not having my bike) and I don't wanna go through it again. I was going ridonkulously slow at some points today but I really don't care. I'm just trying to get to a point where I even feel comfortable in the twisties so that I can work on gradually increasing my speed. Regardless I'd rather go like 30mph on the twisties and actually have a bike than not have one at all.

O and feel free to be mean. My confidence was WAY too high lol :D

hopefully not throw your shit down the road every couple of months until you quit riding or die.
LOL this reminds me of the thread about letting friends ride. I said absolutely not and you were like "Dude what's the difference you throw your shit down the road every chance you get anyway" hahaha :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Bet it feels good to be back on your bike and have perfect riding weather in Nov.:D Were you back in NJ? I wanted to come check out Skyline Dr, but I had a few things that I forgot about that were spaced out all day so I couldn't take too long of a ride... did get in a few short ones though.

Anyway, I always find that I ride slower at first and then faster as I get into a better rhythm(sp?), especially since I mostly just get to ride on weekends. And even moreso today due to the random patches of wet leaves and shit in the road. Either way... +1 on slower through the twisties being better than not having a bike.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Buy "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch and read it over and over and over this winter. Practice one or two skills from the book every time you ride.

"Total Control" by Lee Parks is another good book. Some college if Frederick, MD teaches his "ARC" course (that the book is based on). Costs $300 as I recall. You might want to look into taking that next spring. I've been told it's the perfect course between the MSF and a track day. It is parking lot based, but teaches sport riding techniques.

Take it easy. Ride at whatever pace feels comfortable and non-threatening. That doesn't mean slow, it means you've got reserve to deal with the unexpected. That pace will be different for everyone (sometime day to day), so just ride your own ride. Be safe, have fun.

I'm serious about the books. I have four of them (including "Twist of the Wrist II" and "Smooth Riding") that sit next to my bed and I'm reading one of them all the time. Might only be a chapter or two before crashing for the night, but the constant reminders are good.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike - Nah I was in DC. Skyline Drive is in western Virginia about 90 miles away. So much fun....very little traffic on the roads out there and there are tons of other bikes when you get there. Yea I know all about the wet leaves in Jersey. When I picked up my bike two weeks ago, it rained hardcore that morning. Wet leaves everywhere....

Garry - I have Twist of the Wrist 2 on my comp and have read part of it. With the coming of the really cold weather, I'll hafta read more. I'll try to pick up the others too. Thankfully my school work has really calmed down so I got tons of free time now.

I'll look up that school too. If not that I'll sign up for the Advanced course next spring. I'm gonna practice slow maneuvering in my parking garage next week but I need to put my sliders on first :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Feeling uncomfortable is very common for twisties post-crash, and as everyone has said its a good thing to take it slow. I often have trouble riding twisties on the street after being on the track. I can't stand the guardrails, trees, cliffs, rock walls, etc. and after being on the track and getting all the aggression out, I don't even feel the need to go fast on the street. Remember that riding is about having fun, first and foremost, and you don't have to be the fastest to have the most fun!

·
Premium Member
5,831 Posts
I love Skyline Drive, but I've only ever done it on four wheels. [V]

I didn't know you got your bike back, so congrats on that. And don't worry about being nervous. After I broke my arm in a low-speed lowside, I was very nervous about leaning it over on the left side (the side I fell on). I never quite built back that confidence because I sold the bike without riding it much (just didn't have time). I did do a track day and was eventually able to drag knee again on the right side, but I left that day with about a 1" chicken strip on the left. I was so upset with myself.

You'll get your confidence back, but there's no shame in taking your time. Hopefully you have more time than I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.