Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, i just bought a 2006 ZX6r on friday. Ive already done the Jumper mod and yesterday i took pics and a sound clip video after i hollowed out the catylitic converter. I know some people wanted a how to on this so here it is! I will definetly say, the bike pulls VERY hard now. Stock it would bring the front wheel up smooth but not very far at the end of first. Just with these 2 mods the front wheel now skyrockets straight up at around 12,000 RPMS EVERY TIME. Its great.

So here you go!

First off, you need to remove the bottom fairings, easily done by anybody.

You dont need to take off the uppers (assuming you dont have monster hands.) So just get it looking like this.

Second step is to loosen the clamp that connects the header to the mid pipe. This is done using a 10mm socket.

Now remove the bracket that holds the bottom of the radiator to the engine block. This is done again using a 10mm socket.

Ok, now your ready to remove the header bolts.. I used a 12mm on here, it wasnt a perfect fit but close enough, and you can get them all off without too much trouble through the holes on the fairings. Just be very careful not to scratch them, or damage your radiator in the process.

Now your ready to pull down the radiator. Slide all of the collector clamps down, then pull the rear section out of the mid-pipe, and the whole header should come out easily WITHOUT hitting the radiator. Make sure you remember which side and collecter each exhaust gasket went on though. If you mix-match them you might not get a proper seal.

Now you should have this!

If you take a look inside you'll see....

But you WANT to see....

Actually i was lazy, you neet to get ALL of the honecomb out of there, which will look like this as it comes out, combined with dust.

How you accomplish this part is all personal preference though. My weapon of choice was a small cro-bar and a hammer, which worked nicely. Now just insert the crobar, hammer down, and twist! It took me the better part of an hour to get EVERYTHING out, but its definetly worth it. You must becareful to not damage the exhaust seal ring while you punch out the cat. It can be hit, just dont cut it or smash it down or your mid-pipe wont fit or seal correctly.

So now that you have the cat hollowed out, simply reinstall and start up! It is generally a good idea however to remove the muffler, start it, and once it is warmed up give a couple good healthy revs to blow any lingering cat parts out, i skipped this step however and dont have any clogs.

And heres the sound clip. Its really not much louder than stock, but it sounds very very sexy. And as stated before, between the jumper mod and this, i can definetly feel a strong improvement over stock.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/f107384d-af38-4592-a852-981b0123ba22.htm

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the yoshi rs-5 slip-on and gutted my cat with a long screwdriver and hammer. The sound is pretty much the same, if anything it sounds a little deeper. Engine seems a little smoother now also.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by senfo
Aren't there like some pretty potent cancer causing agents in a catylitic converter or something?
I'm not sure but I wore one of those paper masks to keep from breathing it in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive been thinking about the same thing... I just wonder how long it takes until they start putting an 02 Sensor on the exhaust to monitor A/F Ratios. They got the fuel injection, so if it had an 02 it could automatically adjust to keep the a/f ratio good.

On the other hand, ive ran the piss out of it and havnt had any problems.... Although since i did the jumper mod im only getting about 130miles before my low-fuel light comes on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont think it is on motorcycles... Since theres no emissions testing, and 02 sensor monitoring the emissions on the bike.... I think they just do it for... well, they just do lol

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Picture links are dead. Why not host them here on KawiForums?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
WOW. Thanks for the update. I was thinking about this mod. Check ebay for a stock exhaust. I seen them there cheap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No engine needs backpressure. Backpressure is bad. Period. Now what you DO need is an exhaust system that will keep the flow of the exhaust up, allowing the gasses at the rear of the exhaust to actually "pull" the exhaust at the front of the system out and away from the head. Theres a technical term for this however i forget what it is.

Im not saying run your shit with NO exhaust... You will make NO power this way, but if you have a muffler on your exhaust system then you have enough resistance for your engine to run correctly. You just have to tune for it.

All you need is the fuel mods to adjust your a/f ratio accordingly. I have non and the bike pulls hard, im sure when i install the powercommander it will wake up even more.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.