Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night!! :(

so i take my bike out this morning to the gym to see how it feels.
not nearly as slipperly as i thought it would be.
im debating whether to take it to work, 20 min ride on freeway.
i never really rode in the rain.
i have 2ct's..

my mom sure wwill freak out

·
Moderhater
62,425 Posts
I suggest you put your bike in the garage. No reason to ride in the rain, it only adds another element of danger to something that's already dangerous, LOL... Plus she will get dirty. Be safe man.

Yeah we are getting rain down here too, first time in months.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:( and i just got a second job in the morning thats in the commute traffic! :(
fml...... aka fuck my life

·
Registered
43 Posts
it LIGHTLY drizzled here today and theres noticeably less people on the streets. if we got some showers no doubt the city would have shut down.

First time ive seen it rain all summer.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
:plusone: to avoiding riding 20 miles on the freeway in rain if you have other alternatives. Riding in the wet on back roads is a lot different than at highway speeds. Both will sandblast your bike with grit that gets places you can't even see, but since you have to ride without any quick control imputs to keep from going down, a freeway in rain is not a good place to be. You can't see oil ahead of you when it rains and your bike will be out from under you before you know what happened. Going down on a wet road is one thing, but with hydroplaning cars behind you the whole way what do you think your chances are of surviving a simple spill without a secondary impact that will be worse?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just had my first rainy ride too. I avoided it as long as I could, but got caught out a few nights ago. I ended up going about 30 on a road I'd usually do 65 on... it was raining hard, and even the cars weren't going much faster. I tried waiting it out, but the weather played me for a sucker. Slowed down for two minutes, and went back to pouring.

I'm somewhat glad I did it so that now I know I can do it if I have to. I'd still say garage it those days if you can, though... going to work and sitting wet all day would suck.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I would rather get caught in pouring rain then light rain. Light rain just brings up all the oil on the street the heavey rain will bring it up and wash it away quickly. The 2cts are some of the best tires in the rain.

·
Registered
119 Posts
last night!! :(

so i take my bike out this morning to the gym to see how it feels.
not nearly as slipperly as i thought it would be.
im debating whether to take it to work, 20 min ride on freeway.
i never really rode in the rain.
i have 2ct's..

my mom sure wwill freak out
mmm, another NorCal rider. yeah, i rode home in the rain last night and it wasnt even that bad. average speed was around 50mph with some decent turns. might even ride in the rain again, hahaha.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
My mom still gets pissed off if I stay out past my curfew......

--David

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
damn...u guys wont ride in the rain?
pftt, maybe if i cared about keeping the bike clean.. i wouldnt either.

my last 2 trips, totalled almost 1,000 miles. about 300 worth, was in the rain.
I just prefer not too. :( I hate rain, riding or not.

I got caught in a rain/hail storm on the way home from work once and that was incredibly horrible.

I bought my bike for pure recreation and doing anything in the rain doesn't feel very recreational. :(

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
I just prefer not too. :( I hate rain, riding or not.

I got caught in a rain/hail storm on the way home from work once and that was incredibly horrible.

I bought my bike for pure recreation and doing anything in the rain doesn't feel very recreational. :(
meh, i'll ride in the rain. its still fun, if its not too cold.
in fact, might be headed to seattle tomorrow. 20% chance of rain...so, in seattle..u know what that means. altho..it did rain pretty much all day, and lastnight.
so maybe its all rained out.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
meh, i'll ride in the rain. its still fun, if its not too cold.
in fact, might be headed to seattle tomorrow. 20% chance of rain...so, in seattle..u know what that means. altho..it did rain pretty much all day, and lastnight.
so maybe its all rained out.
You're a rare duck, Nevada. I rode a bike exclusively for 3 years when I lived in the city and rode in rain or whatever the conditions were because I had no other choice. It was sure never "fun"! Worst experience was having the bike come out from under me going 65mph in the left travel lane of the Massacusetts Turnpike. Still don't know why, but it happened so fast it had to be a patch of oil. I hydroplaned so far on my back that I almost went through the toll booth without a vehicle and without paying the $.50 toll. It was a long walk back to where the bike ended up. Luckily this happened at 7AM on a holiday morning as I was coming home from the night shift, or I probably wouldn't be here. About the only "plus" to riding in rain is you'll have less road rash if you dump and are wearing a good leather. Now that I'm an old geezer living in the suburbs and have a car, I don't even consider riding if there's even the possibility of rain. I'm with Kurosaki on this one. I only ride my bike for recreation now and I certainly don't miss the hours of cleaning dirt and grit out of my engine and chain every other day like I used to have to do. Riding in rain sucks!

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
You're a rare duck, Nevada. I rode a bike exclusively for 3 years when I lived in the city and rode in rain or whatever the conditions were because I had no other choice. It was sure never "fun"! Worst experience was having the bike come out from under me going 65mph in the left travel lane of the Massacusetts Turnpike. Still don't know why, but it happened so fast it had to be a patch of oil. I hydroplaned so far on my back that I almost went through the toll booth without a vehicle and without paying the $.50 toll. It was a long walk back to where the bike ended up. Luckily this happened at 7AM on a holiday morning as I was coming home from the night shift, or I probably wouldn't be here. About the only "plus" to riding in rain is you'll have less road rash if you dump and are wearing a good leather. Now that I'm an old geezer living in the suburbs and have a car, I don't even consider riding if there's even the possibility of rain. I'm with Kurosaki on this one. I only ride my bike for recreation now and I certainly don't miss the hours of cleaning dirt and grit out of my engine and chain every other day like I used to have to do. Riding in rain sucks!
i guess i am:p

altho, we made it about 65 miles, before the other guy i was riding with, pulled over, and said.."its too cold, lets go back":cool:
it wasnt raining...yet. but, looked like we were heading into it and it WAS cold.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I wonder if you would get less road rash damage to everything in the wet, because of slight lubrication, and more heat dissipation. Probably.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I wonder if you would get less road rash damage to everything in the wet, because of slight lubrication, and more heat dissipation. Probably.
On the track crashes in the wet do less damage. There is less speed and the bike slide easier on the track and on the grass but on the street rain or no rain everything is still there for your bike to bounce off of.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts