Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was just cruisin uptown and first at a stoplight and this cop goes buy and suddenly flips on his cherries and blueberries and gets on my ass im like WTF! So i pull over and take off helmet and ask him whats wrong he says my license plate..its not visable..so i get off the bike walk back to his cruise and point at it like "WTF you dumbass look" and motion him to come back and check it out cause its clear as day.Anyways, he tells me its an Obstruction of license plate and takes my cards and goes back to his cruise meanwhile im sitting on the front bumper of his car i was so pissed. The first week i had the bike i went to another deputy sheriff and had him check it out and he said its kinda hard to see but he seen nothing wrong with it. This cop is new in town maybe a week old, he's being superman and pulling everyone over for anything..Theres twackflaps and stoned out morons walking the streets and all he has time to do is pull bikers over. Then int he middle of the convo i aksed him why he's first to pull me over for this and his remark was as stated "its because when ever another officer gets behind you, you PROBOBLY dart off"..wtf?..take off while the cop is on my ass..riiight..i respond with "nah, i havent decided to run yet" and he goes "yet?! thats a pretty big word you know.." and i go "yeah tonight should have been the first time huh?" and he just gives me some hardass staredown..anyways a buddy of mine his uncle is the deputy and im gonna go talk to him and tell him ive got an ok from other officers. This guy acted like he was god. HE said he didnt care what any officer thinks he cant see it so its illegal he wants me to mount it like the gay-ass factory come..I have 5 days to do it..Sorry just venting really pissed me off he has nothing better to do and accusing me of running all the time..(by the way my bikd had the undertail when i got it its really far back and nowhere near straight up and down) but visible!!

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
IMO it is not visible from a behind in a car, if i was a cop i would not care but he does have grounds to pull you over, I would just put it back to where it is surpose to be. just my 2 cent

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had my license plate in the same place for about a month. I asked one cop that comes to my job and he said it was ok and I had like 3 cops drive behind me and none of them ever pulled me over and then 1 day I passed a cop and pulled to the red light and he was right behind me pulled me over and said that he could'nt see it because when you sit down on the bike the plate goes down with the tail which is true. When you stand behind your bike its visible but when you sit down and ride its very hard to see in that place so I dont think you can fight that. I just payed the ticket and relocated it so I would avoid uneccessary runnings with popo.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Of course the law varys from state to state, but in my area it's pretty much common knowledge that placing your plate inside the fender like that is illegal. Not only does it need to be visible, but there's a certain amount of distance that it needs to be placed from the furthest rear part of your vehicle. A lot of people think that it's legal to mount it inside the fender because, "I see it all the time." After market pipes are illegal for street use, but people do it all the time.

I've never had a police officer actually come out and admit this, but there is a reason they don't crack down on these minor violations. They actually prefer people to pull this kind of stuff so they can have a reason to pull you over if you look suspicious, (which is not a justifiable reason to pull someone over) then make you sweat and see if they can get you on something bigger.

I put a lift on my truck and for several years never had any problems with it, and then one day I got pulled over for it. It passed safety inspection and all that every year (mechanics missed or didn't care about how much in violation the lift was). Well, since I was pissed, I down loaded the DMV safety requirements to see if this cop was right, and you'd be surprised what all is illegal to have on your ride. If it isn't stock, there's a 90% chance it's illegal (This includes modifying stock parts, like your license plate bracket). I'm not saying, for example, it's illegal to have a lift in the case of my truck, but there's like one kit that's legal and the rest are illegal. Of course the manufacturers of all these items are able to sell these because on the back of the product they state, "For off road use only".

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've never heard it called that, but I'm sure he's talking about tweekers, meth heads. Crystal Methamphetamine addicts. Atleast thats my guess.

quote]Originally posted by GoTime
the hell is a twackflap?[/quote]

My plate was in the sam place. It lasted like four months, I even got pulled over and the cop said nothing to me about it, but one cop didn't like it and he was right you really can't see it so I got a ticket. I still have to get it signed off, I did move it. I just really don't like cops and don't want to pull one over to get it signed off.[

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've got the kit from Bertja. I've been pulled over, cited for it, driven to the CHP office, not changed a thing and got the "fix-it" ticket signed off. DIDN'T CHANGE A THING. The Vehicle code states that the plate must be rear of the back axle so I don't bitch about it. I don't change it either because I like the way my bike looks and I'll pay $10 to leave it the way it is. I have a clean record and no reason to worry if a cop decides to see if he can get any dirt on me so its a price I'm willing to pay for the vanity of having a clean looking bike.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ive had mine on there for just about a year, no cops bother me. in fact, ive been pulled over before on my bike (about other things) and he didnt say a thing.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Judgement call - under ideal conditions, from *just* the right angle/height/position, you can see it, but otherwise the plate's visibility is questionable. If you don't want to have lots of repeat performances of this encounter, move it to a more visible location. There are all sorts of commercial solutions, and an almost infinite number of home-brew ways to do it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i went 8 months (about 7k miles) with my plate in my trunk b4 i mounted it. it all depends on the cop, but that spot "looks" illegal
to me.....:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE*** Talked to our town deputy Sheriff and he told me(im friends with his son)is that where it was when you got it? "yes..." He's being dumb, dont worry about it, its fine.."sweeeett". So:) Glad i get to keep it un-gay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.