Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What makes you think the clutch is slipping? Have you checked the clutch lever free play? If the clutch were slipping it would usually occur above 8,000 where the engine is making more horsepower. I don't think changing or not changing the oil will affect it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well, It's not a hesitation or sputter, it seems to be a little slow getting in getting to the 6000 to 8000RPM range. It doesn't feel like a fuel problem. Maybe I'm just getting used to the power of the bike! Once it gets to 8000 the thing rockets off. It just doesnt' seem to have the instant kick from a stand still that it had.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm at 700 miles and am ready for the first service. I'm planning on doing it myself as soon as I can get a service manual and rear stand. I was having trouble finding an oil filter, but was able to cross reference the fram ph6017a to a hastings lf113 filter. I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with them, but they are good filters. Ok, now I seem to be getting a little clutch slippage up to about 6000 RPM. Could this be due to I'm a little over on the oil change and that there could be a lot of shavings causing the slippage? The oil appears very dirty in the level window. I'm not going to ride it until I change the oil. But, is this something I should have the dealer check out to see if my clutch has a problem?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine did the same thing. Revved harder and went faster than I should have during breakin and it slipped.(pulling hard in third gear abt 9000rpm) Really slipped. Just like the bike went into neutral. The assembly lubes etc that are in the oil during the first 500 miles are the culprit. Change your oil and it will probably go away. Just don't let it slip too much till then or you may glaze your clutches.:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Originally posted by kc8cks

Mine did the same thing. Revved harder and went faster than I should have during breakin and it slipped.(pulling hard in third gear abt 9000rpm) Really slipped. Just like the bike went into neutral. The assembly lubes etc that are in the oil during the first 500 miles are the culprit. Change your oil and it will probably go away. Just don't let it slip too much till then or you may glaze your clutches.:)
Thanks, I feel a little better about it. I've done motocross and kart racing in the past and it just felt really familiar to clutch slippage. I've parked it for right now. I ordered stands yesterday to make it easier to work on. On a side note: I found a 5 quart jug of Mobil1 15w50 at Walmart for $18.88 and also a fram ph6017a filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.