Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I bought my Ninja 2 months ago and now it has 700 miles on it. It is due its first service. Do you recomend that it is done by the dealer. It cost $240 to get it serviced.

Thanks,
Shy

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
depends how mechanically inclined you are
:plusone:

I agree with GTS, it all depends on how you feel about doing it yourself.

Do you have the OEM service Manual? If so, you'll find information on what is done during the first service by the dealer.

;)

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
In case you don't have the service manual, it states the following is done at the 1st service (includes yearly maintenance since it's "whichever comes first"):

[edit: this is for a 2009-2011 ZX6R]

Visual Inspection:

Fuel System
- Throttle Control System (play, smooth return, no drag)
- Idle speed
- Fuel leak (fuel hose and pipe)
- Fuel hose and pipe damage
- Fuel hose and pipe installation condition (this is getting repetitious)
- Evaporative emission control system function (CAL, SEA, and TH models)

Cooling System:
- Coolant level
- Coolant leak (water hose and pipe)
- Water hose damage
- Water hose installation condition

Clutch:
- Clutch operation (play, disengagement, engagement)

Wheels and Tires:
- Tire air pressure
- Wheel bearing damage

Final Drive:
- Drive chain lubrication condition (every 400 miles)
- Drive chain slack (every 600 miles)

Brakes:
- Brake fluid leak (brake hose and pipe)
- Brake hose and pipe damage
- Brake hose installation condition
- Brake fluid level
- Brake operation (effectiveness, play, no drag)
- Brake light switch operation

Suspension:
- Front forks/rear shock absorber oil leak

Steering:
- Steering play

Electrical System:
- Lights and switches operation
- Headlight aiming
- Sidestand switch operation
- Engine stop switch operation

Others:
- Lubricate chasis parts
- Bolts and nuts tightness

Replacement Parts:

- Engine oil - change
- Oil filter - replace

That's it! If you buy the service manual, it explains how to do all of this. Let us know what you decide. I have a new bike as well and am going to do the maintenance myself.

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
There's a section for this, and it isn't the Newbie Corner...

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I'd always have the first service on a new bike performed by the dealer - or at least by a franchised dealer.

Any post manufacturing issues will be spotted and sorted with any hassle over warranty, and the dealer stamp in the service book goes a long way towards validating the warranty for the future.

Doing your own services doesn't void the warranty, but you have to jump through hoops to prove that you did everything right and used the right parts. Think of the dealer service as an insurance policy.

After the first service, if you've got the tools and the skills, doing it yourself is less of an issue and very satisfying to do.

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd always have the first service on a new bike performed by the dealer - or at least by a franchised dealer.

Any post manufacturing issues will be spotted and sorted with any hassle over warranty, and the dealer stamp in the service book goes a long way towards validating the warranty for the future.

Doing your own services doesn't void the warranty, but you have to jump through hoops to prove that you did everything right and used the right parts. Think of the dealer service as an insurance policy.

After the first service, if you've got the tools and the skills, doing it yourself is less of an issue and very satisfying to do.

Rob
Sounds like decent advice, but $240?!? It's right around $100-120 here at Kawasaki.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to dealer as I might sell the bike soon. I can do all this my self but I have been riding on mostly on interstates on high rpm. Didn't really do the whole break in period thing. It is probably nothing wrong with it but just for mental satisfaction and the fact I probably will sell it would be a good idea to go to the dealer. Atleast the first service to make sure everything is good in position.

In case you don't have the service manual, it states the following is done at the 1st service (includes yearly maintenance since it's "whichever comes first"):

[edit: this is for a 2009-2011 ZX6R]

Visual Inspection:

Fuel System
- Throttle Control System (play, smooth return, no drag)
- Idle speed
- Fuel leak (fuel hose and pipe)
- Fuel hose and pipe damage
- Fuel hose and pipe installation condition (this is getting repetitious)
- Evaporative emission control system function (CAL, SEA, and TH models)

Cooling System:
- Coolant level
- Coolant leak (water hose and pipe)
- Water hose damage
- Water hose installation condition

Clutch:
- Clutch operation (play, disengagement, engagement)

Wheels and Tires:
- Tire air pressure
- Wheel bearing damage

Final Drive:
- Drive chain lubrication condition (every 400 miles)
- Drive chain slack (every 600 miles)

Brakes:
- Brake fluid leak (brake hose and pipe)
- Brake hose and pipe damage
- Brake hose installation condition
- Brake fluid level
- Brake operation (effectiveness, play, no drag)
- Brake light switch operation

Suspension:
- Front forks/rear shock absorber oil leak

Steering:
- Steering play

Electrical System:
- Lights and switches operation
- Headlight aiming
- Sidestand switch operation
- Engine stop switch operation

Others:
- Lubricate chasis parts
- Bolts and nuts tightness

Replacement Parts:

- Engine oil - change
- Oil filter - replace

That's it! If you buy the service manual, it explains how to do all of this. Let us know what you decide. I have a new bike as well and am going to do the maintenance myself.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I am going to dealer as I might sell the bike soon. I can do all this my self but I have been riding on mostly on interstates on high rpm. Didn't really do the whole break in period thing. It is probably nothing wrong with it but just for mental satisfaction and the fact I probably will sell it would be a good idea to go to the dealer. Atleast the first service to make sure everything is good in position.
Plus that way you can show the potential buyer that you did indeed take it to the dealer. Keep your receipts.

;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just had my first 600 mi. service done on my 500R by a local dealership; cost was $177 and some change, and that included the oil change, valve adjustment, etc. I didn't see that listed for the 250R. Just curious - per the manual, when are they due for the first valve clearance check?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts