Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to get a quote for my first service at a place here in town and they want 220 parts and labor included!
is that too high?
anybody near me know what they are doing and can i interest you in a sixer after you help me out?
i would love to learn how to do it as well!

·
Registered
148 Posts
All there gonna do is change the oil and look over everything. You could easily change your own oil, it only takes about 30 min from start to finish.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=116551

Got the same quote. Got a $225, $180 & a "maybe around $90"..

With some advice from my fellow KF members I decided to go ahead & change the oil myself. The hardest part is def the oil filter.. That was completely DESTROYED by the time we finally got it off. Took about 1.5 hours total, being the oil filter was tightened by God & i kept triple checking EVERYTHING. But all the others will be alot smoother. I'ma risk getting raped by the dealer the 2nd service so they can (hopefully) properly check over EVERYTHING properly & make sure everythings is on the up n up.. But yea def check into doing it urself.

·
Registered
801 Posts
man its high in cali. here in missouri its only 160 and like the guy about me said oil change is simple! take it in to get a oil change they will rape you. do it yourself and pay about 35 bucks and 30 mins of your time. no fairings need to be dropped granted its easier with them off but still

·
Registered
626 Posts
you are ALL getting screwed. ive been to 2 Kawi dealers (one 45 miles away where i got my bike, and my local one) and BOTH said around 55 bucks. i paid about 60 with taxes and everything. why did i pay if its "just" and oil change? simple. i didnt want to deal with the oil filter the first time :D plus i wanted them to check the bike over since it is new.

now ill be doing the maintainence so i wont have to worry about all that. but still...as i said 2 Kawi dealers said it was about 55 bucks. so i guess i just live where the dealers dont screw you! but you guys are getting raped for first service costs.

i even told them about what some of you guys have been quoted and they said that those dealerships were crooks. something to think about, eh?

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Which two Kawi dealers, in which city and which state?

·
Registered
222 Posts
buy a service manual and do your maintenance yourself. take the warranty stuff to the dealer. i try to avoid going to the dealership as much as i can.

·
Registered
88 Posts
your all getting screwed,:( over here in the uk kawasaki pays the labour and the customer pays for the parts it cost me £25:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I paid 80, now i just buy the oil/filter and change it myself costs half that. they just check for loose bolts, tire pressure, random shit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I paid $150 over here in Tracy (Norcal area).
tracy motorsports?
thats actually where i picked up my bike!
ive been contemplating calling their sister store east bay motorsports in hayward and getting their quote...if not im sure kyle over there in tracy can hook me up...i just dont really wanna spend the cash on something it looks like i can do myself when theres a laundry list of goodies i want!

·
Registered
186 Posts
tracy motorsports?
thats actually where i picked up my bike!
ive been contemplating calling their sister store east bay motorsports in hayward and getting their quote...if not im sure kyle over there in tracy can hook me up...i just dont really wanna spend the cash on something it looks like i can do myself when theres a laundry list of goodies i want!
Really? Thats cool. Kyle was the guy that did the write-up for me. East Bay should be the same, but if not just go to Tracy. But I would say for the 1st service it's good to have them check everything out (just for peace of mind). I plan on doing all the rest of my oil changes myself. GL

·
Registered
626 Posts
Which two Kawi dealers, in which city and which state?
Tupelo Powersports in Tupelo, MS and Jim Bennett Kawasaki in Corinth, MS. i got my bike in Tupelo, got it serviced here in town (Corinth).

they dont even inflate the prices on the 250's if you can believe that :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am not sure exactly where freemont, ca is but i live in seal beach and just took my bike in today to Mid Cities Honda/Kawasaki in Paramount, CA and paid 106 total, parts and labor. maybe give them a shot i was happy.

Edit:: shit just realized fremont is in norcal. Sorry

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Tupelo Powersports in Tupelo, MS and Jim Bennett Kawasaki in Corinth, MS. i got my bike in Tupelo, got it serviced here in town (Corinth).

they dont even inflate the prices on the 250's if you can believe that :p

its all on the area u leave in that how the price is figured out.

i know a harley shop that does 90 a half hour.

·
Registered
626 Posts
its all on the area u leave in that how the price is figured out.

i know a harley shop that does 90 a half hour.
very true...i live in a place with low cost of living. shop rates are still 60+ an hour, which i understand. i still think its highway robbery to have to pay upwards of 200 for a first service...oil change and an overall check of the bike. its gouging IMO.
and places that inflate the 250 prices (or prices on any bike that gets decent mileage) is criminal. most consumers know that MSRP is not what you usually pay. its almost always lower than what the manufacturer suggests, unless its a brand new model like the new Challanger, that retails for 40K and people are paying double that for them.

but, its capitalism. if people think something is worth that much, they will pay it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts