Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHOA! Dump that dealer fast! Premium gas only (highest octane possible) - never 87 octane. No valve adjustment at first service. Whoever you talked to is either an idiot or a snake or both :(

Originally posted by jmickle11

I'm coming up on needing the first service done on my 636. I stopped by my dealer yesterday to see what all they are going to do. The labor alone is $165 and then the cost of oil, filter, etc. They said it will need to have the valve clearence checked which is the bulk of the labor. Is this necessary? Also, The only thing I've noticed is that at idle the rpm varies from 1200-1500 rpm. It will idle at 1200 and then go up to 1500 and then back down to 1200. When I asked the service guy about it he asked me what gas I was putting in it. I've been using Amoco 93. He told me to only put 87 in it. Should I listen to him? I have read some guys use 87 but the majority of things I've read(including my owners manual) is to use at least 91. This is my first bike and I need a little advice here. I don't want to screw up the bike! Thanks!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yeah, really. Those guys are idiots. First of all, your engine will run hotter on 87 octane and will start to gum up your engine if you use it too much due to compression. The first service that you need to go to the dealer for is at 4,000 mi. if you aren't overly mechanicaly inclined.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
jmickle11,

Use only premium fuel as your owner's manual suggests. You do not need to use the highest available octane rating, but you may want to try a different gas station.

Your owner's manual also lists the maintenance procedures that should be performed at 600 miles. Early manuals included a valve clearance check at the first service, but Kawasaki has since issued a correction. The valve clearance should be checked every 15,000 miles, starting at 15,000 miles.

Out-of-sync carbs or throttle bodies are a common cause of erratic idle. You may want to look into that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well, I just wanted to double check. I can change oil, filter, and go over the bike and make sure that everything is tight. How would I check to see if the throttle bodies are in sync? I'm really not that worried about it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm coming up on needing the first service done on my 636. I stopped by my dealer yesterday to see what all they are going to do. The labor alone is $165 and then the cost of oil, filter, etc. They said it will need to have the valve clearence checked which is the bulk of the labor. Is this necessary? Also, The only thing I've noticed is that at idle the rpm varies from 1200-1500 rpm. It will idle at 1200 and then go up to 1500 and then back down to 1200. When I asked the service guy about it he asked me what gas I was putting in it. I've been using Amoco 93. He told me to only put 87 in it. Should I listen to him? I have read some guys use 87 but the majority of things I've read(including my owners manual) is to use at least 91. This is my first bike and I need a little advice here. I don't want to screw up the bike! Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.