Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I recently dropped my bike off for it's first service - a few weeks ago, bike's at 800 miles, now. I explicitly told the technician that I wanted the '600 mile service'. There's a lot of inspections in the maintenence schedule, and since I have limited free time and am mechanically ignorant, I thought it a good idea to let the pros take care of all of those items.

I was just looking through the receipt and here's what was done:

oil filter change
cleaned, adjusted, lubed chain
corrected tire PSI
checked brakes
checked freeplay of cables
general lub

total was 97 bucks.

Now, some of these are sort of general terms for tasks that might have included some of the things listed in the owner's manual - but I don't know if I should assume that.

My question - was I supposed to tell the technician all of the individual items listed in the owners manual? I figured they'd know what things to do (it's a kawi dealership).

Do I need to go ahead and undertake all of those tasks that I thought I was paying someone else to do - or would you assume that some of the smaller tasks that were seemingly missed are just routine things that are done and not itemized on the receipt?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Out of curiosity, what does the owners manual outline for this service?

Oh and you should NOT have to tell the dealership what to do for a 600 mile service but, if you wanna confirm what will be done, it's always a good idea to ask beforehand.

Edit: I just took a look at my owners manual (05 zx6r) and most of the items in the inspection list are visual inspections so, you probably wouldn't see them noted on the receipt. Most likely, the bike is just given a once over by the mechanic, looking for anything out of place.

I will say that I work for a Charter Aircraft company and we take our visual inspections very seriously. Each separate inspection needs to be signed off by a mechanic and then gone over again by an inspector who also initials the inspection. So, if they are anything like that then each separate inspection was signed off by someone. More likely though, the bike was just given the old "kick the tires" routine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's part of my question, I guess - There's no real definition of a 600 mile service in the owners manual. There's just a bunch of standard maintainence items due at 600 miles, which I assumed would be included as part of the service, but maybe that wasn;t a correct assumption. I'd list what's recommended, but I gotta run (it's a lot of stuff!).

ETA - bike is running perfectly with no apparent fluid leaks, etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They just change the oil,lube your chain, mess with clutch play, check the idle, and make sure no bolts are coming loose.

At my dealer, they had a long list of things to do like check the compression and the spark plug gap and a few other things listed under the 600 service and when I asked them about it they sayd that it's all extra on top of the 140 I paid.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would say no matter what they did you have wasted your time and money taking your bike for the 600 mile tune up. Basically all they are gonna do is change your oil and check your chain. This can be done at home for $50 and you will have known the work was done right. Just my .02

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My personal free time is woth more to me than the 40 dollars I would have saved for doing it myself. Folks need to consider the value of one's personal time before condemning the outsourcing of this sort of work.

Looks like I need to follow up on some stuff, though, so I didn't save myself as much time as I bargained. Live and learn.

·
Registered
295 Posts
In the OP that is pretty much a first service. As someone else mentioned the rest is visual. Checking the coolant level, brake fluid level, cable routing, kinks or pinches in hoses, battery level if not MF (I always checked the battery voltage as well), etc. When I was wrenching at a shop, for the first service I would pick a half dozen or so random bolts on the bike and check their torque (pinch bolts, header bolts, caliper bolts, etc)

The first service only pays roughly 1.5 hour and an oil change consumes 30-40 min and the chain serice 15-20. The rest of the time is spent doing visuals. Plus every bike is given a test ride that is built into that time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was quoted $200 + parts at two dealers for the 600 mile service. I did it myself. Changed oil and filter, checked coolant, adjusted clutch play, checked brake fluid, checked all bolts, tire air, chain tension, lubed chain, looked for leaks and so forth. Maybe when it comes time to adjust the valves or sync the carbs they will get it.

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts