Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi My name is Dave and i just became a bikeaholic

Just like that with out planing or even thinking about it i own a bike.
The bike is a 2001 ZX-7R it needs a little work (i hope) and ive been told that this is the "Go To" place for help with this bike.

The bike needs a Battery.
i already pulled the tank and cleaned it. I am going to try and start it in the next couple days. The bike has been sitting for a long time. Is there anything else that i should do before trying to start it?
Thanks for your help guys.
Dave

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Shorai batteries are awesome! They are powerful and light as a feather compared to regular batteries. Here's the link: - Shorai Lithium Batteries

Yes, if the bike has been sitting for a long time, then flush and refill the cooling system, change the oil and oil filter, and also check the air filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Strider007 pretty much covered it, on what to look at and refresh since its been sitting. Hope it works out to be a great first bike for you. Since your new at it be careful out there and enjoy it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Be sure to check ur carbs also. I believe these things are carbureted so if its been sitting for awhile they are more than likely gunna be gummed up. Also check ur plugs and all electrical stuff to make sure its turning over and getting fire. Other than that just what strider said and u should be ok. Good luck and welcome!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was also considering replacing the plugs, Is this a good idea?
If so what brand, and plug number do i need?

Is it a good idea to put some Marvel Mystery oil down the carbs and cranking the engine with the spark plugs removed just to lub the cylinders? I would do this to a car thats been sitting for a while Why not a bike?
Thanks for your help.
David

·
Registered
262 Posts
I personally wouldn't poor any kind of oil into the carbs cuz bike carbs are more sensitive to stuff than car carbs. To be on the safe side if u wanna lube the pistons and everything pull each plug and poor some oil thru the spark plug hole. Then let it sit for a little then turn it over without the plugs in there. Do that a couple of times then put the old plugs back in and crank it up. Keep in mind its gunna smoke like crazy at first then it'll wear off. After u get all the oil cleared out go ahead and slap some new plugs in of ur choice and you should be set

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
You need to have the carbs disassembled and cleaned. Otherwise that bike isn't going anywhere. Don't bother with Seafoam or any other additive to try and fix dirty carbs. They don't work. A few drops of oil down each plug hole is a food idea. Crank the bike over by hand or jog the starter with the plugs still out a few times. Before you do anything, change the oil and filter. Honestly all fluids need changed, but do the engine oil first so you can at least attempt to fire it up.

Good luck. I hope she treats you well. those bikes are notorious for electrical problems, so just be aware of that. There's a thread about what you should know about the ZX7R. You may wanna check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts