Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who didn't see my previous post I just purchased a race prepped 2003 ZX6rr this past Monday. It was delivered to the track so I was able to put it through its paces right away.

This bike rocks! The engine was very strong (modified), no problem pulling on my buddy who just picked up a cbr600rr of the same vintage.

One scary moment however, after appexing on a right hander my knee was just starting to lift off the track as I'm exiting the turn and all of a sudden the rear end starts coming around to try and catch up with the front[:0]. The bike bucked me off the left hand side just as I'm thinking, oh crap here comes a highside. I must have had a death grip on the handle bars b/c I didn't let go and when my feet hit the ground they bouced back up....by that time the bike had snapped back and swung underneath me..pure luck..I landed with my stomach on the tank and slid back onto the seat;). At this point the bike was still moving at a decent clip and heading off road.

It took me a moment to realize that I was actually back on the bike and going in a straight line as I rode it through the grass. I reached for the rear brake to start modulating and slow down but to my surprise it wasn't working. Once I finally stopped I looked down and noticed that I my right foot was actually resting on the midpipe of the exhaust....my complete right rearset assembly was hanging off the bike held on only by the rear brake line![xx(].

These were stock rearsets and they snapped right at the mounting points on the frame. The bolts were still in the frame...but the rearset brackets separated approx 3cm from those mounting points.

We determined that it likely wasn't the tires as they were relatively brand new (only 10 laps and well scrubbed in) and I hadn't been dragging the pegs b/c there weren't any marks other than the snapping points. I can only assume that when the rearset broke it compressed the rear brake and caused the rear to lock and subsequently spin up....either way, hell of a way to start on a new bike:D! Luckily the builder that sold me the bike is going to replace the stock rearsets with some aftermarket ones...he couldn't believe what happened either.

That aside, I love the kawi...very stong, great handling...and compared to my RC51 it's a feather.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe a slight touch of that as well[:I]....or it could have been the Honda gods lashing out for my departure from big red[:eek:)]

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
damn thats why i replaced my ZX rearsets asap, they just feel cheap as hell and are way flexible....under 230 lbs they flex big time...My ARATA's are like being on a cmement slab no movement yet i can feel what is goig on...strange if you think about it...
Oh well sounds like you are happy to keep her in one peice as well as your self..

I am looking for a ex-race biek myself..
Looking at Haydens 2004 SS 600
or goberts 2004 ss cbr1000

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
man.....that's crazy....*having second thoughts about bringing bike to track........nah!!*

·
Registered
96 Posts
jdgun_13 - I saw Haydens bike for sale too on the 10r forum. That thing is sick! That would be an awesome track bike. Although would you have to run race gas? Do you think it will last as long as a normal engine because I think they tighten the tolerances. On the other hand, Goberts 1000rr is not a bad choice either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.