Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well 2nd time one the bike (04 zx10), but just put on 2 new bridgestone 014's...

should have scuffed down the tires first cause I didn't even make it out of seeing distance from my house. took the first turn not pushing it at all and just as I was thinking 'dam it turns in real nice' - thump and I'm doing a superman slide right down the road. f'ck -no warning at all, no chance to save it.

been riding for 6 years and never crashed aside from the day I looked at my first bike(which was more/less just falling over on it[B)])

don't really know what happened, since I was barely leaned over, but I think I must have gave too much gas coming out of the corner on slippery new tires.

not much damage, scuffed right mid panel, lower panel, bar end, brake lever, and pulse cover got a little crack(already got a new one for $50) and a nice rash on the palm of my hand[V] actually rode it back home.

well I guess it'll give me an excuse to buy some green paint and match the lower panel, hugger, front fender sides, and mirrors:D

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
[:Opps1]

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had to comment on this because... Picture this... I've got minimal experience riding sportbikes... ~250 miles on a 05' 636 and I go to the dealer and buy an 06' 10r. While I'm doing the paperwork it's starts pouring outside... gotta love South Florida weather patterns.

The rain has basically stopped and I'm about to get on a litre bike for the first time in my life to ride home on wet roads with pockets of rain and tires with .2 miles on them :-(

I got rained on 2 or 3 times before I got home, but kept the throttle at a minimum and stayed out of the middle of the road at stop lights. No crashes or laydowns to report, but if I had to do it again, I think I would have had them deliver the bike on a trailer.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by FLOJOE
Yeah, you gotta watch out for those new tires, they can be slick. Sorry to hear about you accident. How about some pictures?

Why did you go with the Bridgestones btw? I, along with most other riders, don't have a very high opinion of them. Shoulda went with the dunlop qualifiers.
actually went with the bridgestones because a local dealer (who races) recomended them, and backed them up talking about bla bla bla championships won on them and this and that... also they came on my wifes gsxr 750 and they seem to handle well on that.

I've had the dunlop 208s and was not pleased with them at all, so I tend to not consider dunlops. I have metzler on my zx9r and like them, however there were a couple close calls with those slipping a bit on road paint which is one thing the guy mentioned wouldn't happen with the bridgestones.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by eimajnacnud

No Gloves?
nope no gloves[:0]

I never really wear gloves, usually just helmet and jacket, but I will now for sure [B)]

I forgot to put in my first post, I need a bar end if anyone has a black stock one not scratched up. thats about it, changed the pulse cover already and found a new brake lever cheap enough on ebay

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Originally posted by badaszx9r

actually went with the bridgestones because a local dealer (who races) recomended them, and backed them up talking about bla bla bla championships won on them and this and that... also they came on my wifes gsxr 750 and they seem to handle well on that.

I've had the dunlop 208s and was not pleased with them at all, so I tend to not consider dunlops. I have metzler on my zx9r and like them, however there were a couple close calls with those slipping a bit on road paint which is one thing the guy mentioned wouldn't happen with the bridgestones.
Yeah, I've heard bad things about the 208's too, but the qualifiers are a different story. Next time you get some tires, give them a shot. You won't be dissapointed, I promise. Plus, you can get a set for like $200. They may not last as long as the Bridgestones, but he grip they offer more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by scream-n-10r

nope no gloves[:0]

I never really wear gloves, usually just helmet and jacket, but I will now for sure [B)]

I forgot to put in my first post, I need a bar end if anyone has a black stock one not scratched up. thats about it, changed the pulse cover already and found a new brake lever cheap enough on ebay
[?] Question: I have a damaged pulse cover that I am going to replace on my '04. I think the parts list calls the gasket behind it an o-ring. Is it an o-ring or a flat gasket? If o-ring, should it be replaced? Any torque values on the screws? I know that's more than one question. Really appreciate some info.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the info. Actually, I just bought this bike and I'm in the process of healing some light rash. I appreciate your concern.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dammmmmnnnnn, shit happens, glad your okay.

When will people learn to wear there safety gear especially after Roethlisberger incident[B)]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there guys and gals. I have never posted on this site but it seems to be a good one so here goes.

I was having a read about how Screaming-10-R dumped his 10 on new rubber which is the most common time to do it. Sorry about that.
Regarding your tyre choice, I used the BT014 on my 2005 ZX636 and they were good and then i changed to the Metzeller M1 which was bloody fantastic on that bike. I am just like you when you said you dont like Dunlop at all. i could not stand them till now. I just got my 04 ZX10 about 2 weeks ago and it has the Dunlop Q on it. In all honesty, i have to say that they work on this bike. It seems to me that the BT014 and Metzeler work on your 600 and 750 bikes but on the 1000 they dont work to well and just burn away and dont grip for long.

My 10 has had some work done on it and is pushing out about 170BHP on the back wheel and these rubbers work on it. Go try the 190-50 profile on it. It honestly works and this is from me who would not even use Dunlop on a go gart. oh well there is my 2c on that

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think every rider knows about the new tire being slick as owl sh!t, as it were. Some of us have foudn out the hard way. With that, sorry about your spill, man. I just had my ZX7R replaced where another motor hit me and totaled it.

My experience:
Dunlop 208 (factory ZX7R) - fine for granny, but not for ninja
Replaced with Metzler M1 - sticky but only lasted about 6K. I can't complain because they gave me a really good feel.
Dunlop Qualifier (on my new ZX10R) - don't have but 18 miles on it but the guy that followed me home said that every time I turned a corner, the bike threw a rooster tail of dust, dirt, and gravel. I can't wait to see how these are after they are scuffed in!

I know that the following information is redundant, but we are talking about something very serious as well as something that we all experience every time a new tire goes on.

Think of it this way, education is cheap if not free, but the bike surely ain't! ;)

From the Metzler Website:
"After fitting, the tire should not be used with maximum power or hard cornering and not over 60 mph for the first 100-150 miles. This is needed to allow the tire/rim assembly to adjust properly and most of all to let the compound find his optimum working conditions"

From the Dunlop Website:
"Replacements for worn, differently patterned or constructed tires will not react the same. When new tires are fitted, they should not be subjected to maximum power, abrupt lean-over or hard cornering until a reasonable run-in distance of approximately 100 miles has been covered. This will permit the rider to become accustomed to the feel of the new tires or tire combination, find the edge, and achieve optimum road grip for a range of speeds, acceleration and handling use. Check and adjust inflation pressure to recommended levels after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in. Remember, new tires will have a very different contact patch and lean-over edge. New tires, mixing a new tire with a worn older tire, and mixing different pattern combinations require careful ride evaluation."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.