Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got my first wheelie today. Before, I had gotten the front tire about half a foot off the ground, in 2nd. I tried them in first today with my roommate. Go at about 7-8k, sit back a bit, quickly let off throttle, and then back on right away. The bike comes up nice and smooth. My roommate said that my front tire came up at least 3-4 ft. The thing is, after getting up that high, it felt like it was going to loop, so I let off the throttle.

Side note: I came down really hard a couple of times, and it sounded like the forks made a noise. I didn't fuck anything up did I? How do you know if you've blown seals or something? I'm worried about the bike.

So back to it. I've read in some posts that balance in 2nd is lower than in first. Isn't the balance the same in any gear?

My main question: Is there a definite sign that indicates that the bike is going to loop? I have no problem trying wheelies anymore, I'm not scare to attempt them, but biggest fear is looping, since even in first, you're going at least 30-40mph or so. Is it just a matter of letting off the throttle, and if front starts to come down, you give it more gas and take it up a little higher until you get a balance point?

Also, is the balance in 2nd lower than in 1st? I'm wondering if it is, if I should practice wheelies in 2nd til I get the balance point, and then do them in first.

Thanks all for your help.

When I got my bike, I said that stunts didn't really entice me, know that I've gotten the front end up, I feel like doing them all the time, and mastering them!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
the balence point in 1st looks like a 12o clock its pretty high second gear your at about alil over 45 degres good luck with it btw i dought that you busted a seal unless the bike is very rough on the ride well hey how do u cluth it up in second wats your teqnique on getting it up in second no matter what i try i just cant get it up i could ride out first but nohing in second

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
(1) The point of no return in all honesty would depend on how much you weigh, how hard you're leaning back, and how fast it's coming up. You're probably not yet at the balance point as you call it if you're still new at them. Not many riders are capable of holding a bike there forever like Minitryker or BTB Wheelie Pimp. And those guys have years and years and hundreds of hours into practicing it. I'm not into "pushing" it too far, because I can't afford to repair a flipped bike.

(2) A blown fork seal isn't hard to spot. Inspect the lower legs carefully and look for obvious dark streaks on them or for an accumulation of oil and dirt around the seals themselves over time. Slamming it down hard a few times probably won't blow them, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. I don't believe the balance point in 2nd is going to be significantly different than in 1st, except that the bike will tend to loft slower and more controllably in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
To answer your balance point question, no, the balance point is not the same in every gear. Wind resistance plays a factor in helping you hold the bike up at the balance point, but only in higher speed wheelies. It's not a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.