Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been away for a while... Really busy trying to get into grad school. Anyways this semester my bike is my primary transportation again so I've been riding her everyday and noticing something. So here's where I recap the last few months. First I painted the bike over the summer. After I put her back together ( I did not touch or adjust anything mechanical) I put the recommended amount of seafoam into a full tank just because I figured it would be a good time to clean out the carbs if anything accumulated after sitting for a couple months. About 20 miles of riding later, the bike starts running on 2 cylinders. Im like wtf. So I tear it down and pull the plugs. They were wet with gas. They were also incredibly fouled. So I figured they were just old and needed changed and that the seafoam just uncovered the problem. So I replace the plugs and think I must have fixed the problem...Nope. The next day with new plugs I still get the same problem. Pull the new plugs and theyre wet like before. So I figure it must be a carb problem. So I tear down the carbs and clean them head to toe. They looked spotless and clear though. Another thing I did was fix a small leak in the ram intake where the tube meets the back of the grill on the front cowling. So after this the bike no longer has the problems with dumping too much fuel into the cylinders...

So onto why I am posting. Now the bike does not feel the same as before the problems. It feels like there is a slight lag when starting out in each gear. Maybe from like 3-5K rpm depending on the gear. If I give it alot of throttle, it takes off like it did before, maybe even better( I am assuming because of the better plugs). So I am thinking it has to do with air fuel mixture problems. It is also idling a bit rough. It doesnt seem to stay at the same rpm like it did before. It kind of jumps around a little. There also seems to be a bit more vibration, I am thinking this is from the rougher idle. So the only thing I can think is after cleaning carbs and putting in new plugs, the carbs need to be resynchronized. So I ordered the tool to do that and will go at it as soon as I get it, but what I am wondering is if it could be anything else. So I am asking for any ideas on what the problem could be. As always any help is appreciated...

The bike is an 05 zzr with 5000 miles and shimmed needles. Tommorow I am going to remove the shims and see if anything changes, but the bike was running perfectly with them before all of this so I dont expect a change. Ill let you know what happens and sorry for such a long post.

-Best Matt

·
Registered
60 Posts
How many tanks of gas have you gone through since putting the seafoam in?

The reason I ask is because I had a similar problem after using a carb and fuel injector cleaner on a Ninja 500 once. That bike only has 2 cylinders to begin with but here is what happened.

I put the recommended amount of cleaner in a full tank and it ran fine until the tank was getting low. then the bike would hardly run at all. It would loose power and stall when riding, idle low and rough, had to start on choke and would stall off choke.

I took it to my mechanic and he told me it was because the carbs got a concentrated shot of the cleaner. The cleaner/gas mixture in the tank was not homogeneous, different specific gravities possibly. He adjusted the idle up and it ran better. After a few tanks of plain gas to flush it it ran better and adjusted the idle back down.

Needless to say, I'm done with putting any brand of that stuff in my gas. If I feel the carbs are gumming up I'l take it in to have then cleaned and synched.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I forgot to add that after I had the problem with the plugs, the first thing I did was drain the tank and put fresh gas in. I have gone through about 1 tank since then. Today I pulled the shims off the needles and replaced the fuel filter. I think it is definitely idling better. I think replacing the filter would probably get rid of any trace of seafoam. The smoothness did improve, but I would think that might be expected because you are removing the amount of fuel that gets put in when you take the shims off. So less jerky. I guess... So I am going to sync the carbs when I get the tool and go from there. After I get this back to how it was I will put the shims back in and see if it changes...
Another question is when I removed the needle holders, as well as the air box, there was gas in the seems and on the needle holders. Not a lot but enough to be noticeable. I dont think this is normal. Anyone else have that???

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well good news, The balancing seemed to fix almost all of the hesitation. As soon as it gets a little warmer I will know for sure because everytime I've been riding its been in the 20s,30s, or 40s so its hard to get a good feel. But one interesting thing was that 1 and 2 were almost even, but 3 was at 0 and 4 was at like 6 times 1 and 2. It was crazy. I don't understand how they could have gotten so far off.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same as undergrad, University of Florida for High Energy Physics.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
the ZZR is kinda partial to shimming.

u JUST did one last week. same flat spot from 3.5K-5.5K, but under load it was fine.
a sync and it settled down a bit, a bit of A/F tuning and it was spot on it seemed. the customer came back with a shit-eatin grin after a test ride so i figured i did something right.. lol

wet plugs don't always indicate fueling tho, for future reference.. if theres raw fuel being poured into the intake, yes.. theres a big fuckin issue, typically a hung float or vac piston, but the thing that seems to take a back burner is ignition..

well, at least you're up and running.. now, all thats left is a little tuning and sync and you'll be golden i think.. IF the carbs are in decent shape and all.. run that tank of seafoam outta there and put in good fresh shit too. that stuff knocks the potencyof gas down a good bit.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its weird, the thing I'm wondering is why 3 and 4 were so far off. It was warmer here today though and I think it is just about gone. As soon as I get some time (probably another few weeks) I will ride it then tear it down to put the shims in. If there is no gas in the intake then I will put them in, otherwise I'll be doing some more tuning. Like I said though the carbs were spotless when I cleaned them ( before and after) so the only thing I can think is to mess with the A/F. I think I know why the plugs got wet in the first place but after that I have no clue why what happened happened.

·
Registered
11,326 Posts
Its weird, the thing I'm wondering is why 3 and 4 were so far off.
They can come from the factory way out of synch like that. If that was their first synch (yikes:eek:) then that was probably how they came from Kawasaki. Or a previous owner didnt know what he/she was doing.:dunno:

I have also heard of people cleaning the carbs, then synching them and noticing a huge discrepancy between cyl vaccum, one that they couldnt have missed when they last rode the bike. Almos like the bike ran better with dirty carbs and extra fuel than it should with clean carbs and the proper fueling. Weird.:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts