Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on fixing several scratches i have on my fairings, but im not sure if the scratches are too deep (if thats possible).
There is a couple of circle-ish ones that are about 1-1.5inches in diameter and a few smaller ones.

The problem is that they-re all down to the 'black' (the plastic?) and rough.

Is it as easy as gently wet-sanding down the areas so that they are smooth then using touch-up paint? Im not bothered about the fact that it may look like the fairings will have little 'dents', im just fed up with looking at the black blobs on my bike.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
46 Posts
Without painting the entire surface then yes touch up paint. I had a few dings/nicks/scratches in my tank when I purchased my bike. I was able to make it near flawless again by wet sanding with some 3k grit then used the ColorRite system. It took some time and patience but it was worth the effort. ColorRite is the stuff you want. Here is a run down on what paints/primers you will need and color codes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Thanks for the advice. so its as simple as i thought, i've found the paint color i need, just now need to check colorrite ship to the UK (unless anyone can say they do?).

Im guessing the touch-up paint is ok to go on the fairings?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes it will be fine on the plastic although you should probably order some primer to lay on first. Make sure to pick some good buffing compound like 3M or Mothers for when everything is cured to get the best results and to take care of the dulness created by wet sanding over clear coat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts