Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, i got a problem w/ my headlight tab. i have tried jb weld, jb kwik, 2 part epoxy. what will hold the tab to the headlight housing longer than 10 minutes riding. i did scuff up around the piece w/ a dremel and the adhesives always bread right in the middle.
so anyone have a better idea. thanks

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
Plastic weld the piece onto the headlight is probably the best solution.

Heres a quick and dirty guide on how you do that.

Firstly you will need a soldering iron and some big cable/zip ties (this is your donor plastic) or you could buy the plastic rods.

Heat your soldering iron up to optimum temp with the spade fitting on there (looks like a screwdriver end) and then gently stab into the pieces your trying to fix to give both surfaces a ridged effect. Let that cool down for 5 minutes just to set the ridges in places dont do them too deep but dont do them too shallow either (you want more ribs than a condom but less than a sprocket in terms of depth) get your cable ties or rods and place them along the ridges on the broken off piece and start melting it to fill in the ridges this will then reheat the ridges and melt the 2 pieces together do the same thing for the headlight and before the headlight side is cool re-heat the broken piece and then place them together so that the 2 melted sections of plastic are joined where they need to be.

while both pieces are still hot use more of the cable ties/rods to melt around the outside taking more of the headlight as a base for joining so that you basically extend the tabs area at the bottom to give it more support. When you have enough plastic securing the tab you will want to let it fully cool down in the middle, leave this for a couple of hours to cool naturally otherwise the plastic will become too britle if you assist cooldown.

Hope this helps

Russ

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
oh just to point out you will want to clean off all the crap first from the jb weld and such otherwise you heat that shit and it will probably be toxic.

Russ

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice. i'll bring home my soldering gun from work tomorrow and try. i'll let you know how it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.