Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

just purchased a 1998 zx6r after passing my test in june. its my first bike EVER, and im having probs with it reving smoothly at 4,000. Then it seems to rev higher but with no clock reading and no acceleration then it will jump up to around 5,000 and back to smooth acceleration. It doesnt seem to do it all the time and its really bugging me! and i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation. Ive balanced the carbs in an attempt to fix but it hasn't sorted it. I was thinking of getting some new plug but as of yet havent purchased any. One other thing should these things wheelie in first gear if you rip the throttle back the answer im sure is yes. but all i seem to get is the suspension raises a little.

Cheers,

Russ

·
Registered
282 Posts
that just the way our bikes are "carbed". There's not a whole lot you can do. When i got the bike jetted, it was definitely smoother but i still get that flat spot (especially in 1st gear). But that's okay, what are you doing under 4000rpms anyway? TWIST THAT WRIST!!! Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
121 Posts
+1

That spot blows in traffic. Just get passed 'em and get the revs up.

A jet kit won't really eliminate it, it will just move it around in the rev range. You can get it smoother than it is stock, but it doesn't hurt anything to leave it like that.

You can adjust the transition from one jet to another with the mixture screws to smooth it out. You'll need to drill the caps they put over them for emissions control. Get a service manual and read the fuel sytem section. Read a few pages about carb theory as well. (there's lots online - do a search) You should be able to dial them in to suit you. Good Luck and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
[:Agree] I had the same problem when I put my bolt-on can on. After shimming the needles, no more flat spot. That's all I did though, all my carb settings are stock. I

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hmmm... Radio Shack washers??? A hardware store would have a better selection and industrial supplier would have a precise shim. I'm guessing that the thickness of .02" (.5mm) is not critical because there is a lot a variance in general purpose hardware. If this is the case, then rock on with those washers.

Sorry for being a jerk, I just work with a lot of engineers and have listened to them too much I guess. But McMaster-Carr can provide all kinds of hardware meeting all kinds of standards and they ship internationally. No minimum order and you don't have to be a company. You can order online 24/7. And no, I don't work for them but they have supplied my company with just about everything you can imagine for over 10 years. Just go to www.mcmaster.com and type "shims" in the search box and you can just click and choose your options to get the exact fit you need. Even if you don't need a precise shim, this is great resource for all kinds of things you never knew you might be able to use!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yer same here cant find nowhere but the ones you found putty_thing look as if they will work. id not important as you can just drill it out to 3mm and as the od is 6.7 you shouldnt have a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.