Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had my suspension done at lee's cycles i told them the suspension was to stiff they had to set the rear all the way to full soft and it is perfect, it does not even sag when i get on it, but the problem is in the front it's to soft, when i brake it sinks to much.... which setting do i have to mess with to stiffin it back up?????(top or bottom of forks, turn wich way)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The rear should sag about 10 mm without the rider and 30 mm with the rider. If the rear does not sag when you get on the bike, it is not perfect, as you call it.

The front should sag about 20 mm without the rider and 35 mm with the rider. If it does not, you need springs of a different rate. You can work around fork dive by increasing preload (clockwise at the gold adjusters at the top of the forks), or increasing compression damping (clockwise at the adjuster at the bottom of the works), but that is not the proper solution.

Did the shop set proper sag by taking measurements with you on and off the bike? If not, you are waving your hands.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the shop did set the proper sag by taking measurements, the rear does sag, but not much more than the stock set-up, and is much more smoother.... if increasing the preload, or increasing compression damping in the front is not the "proper solution" what is ??????

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you have set sag without rider and the forks dive excessively (because of too much sag with rider), the proper solution is to get springs of a higher rate. At a rate of 8.6 kg/mm, the stock fork springs are a bit too light for most riders.

For a spring rate recommendation to suit your weight and riding, give the folks at kyleusa.com or traxxion.com a bell.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your help rob, but i think i can tighten it up with a couple clicks, should i adjust the preload or the damping first, or both???????

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Really, you should take measurements and adjust the preload to get the proper rider sag. If you must, you can instead turn the preload adjusters clockwise to show one or two fewer rings, and then test.

Make a note of the stock setting so you can undo your changes if you do not like them. Also, make small adjustments, and then test.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like i said before i have had measurments to set the proper sag when i said "it don't even sag when i get on it" i did not mean when i set on it, but when i get on the throttle it does not squat .....sorry for the confusion i guess my terminology is not right....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
After you have properly set the sag, you can reduce fork dive by adding a bit of compression damping or yet a bit more preload. Make small changes with only one adjuster at a time, and then test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.