Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my ZX for many things, including track days, commuting and sport touring. The low clip on handlebars are great for aggressive riding, but for relaxed commuting and touring, they are just too low. I was about to order some Convertibars ($400.00 or so!) when I decided to try and flip the stock handlebars.

It worked! It requires that you take the left clip on and mount it upside down on the right fork tube and mount the right clip on on the left fork tube.

I checked that clearance to the fairing would be acceptable, and it was, so I loosely mounted the bars and marked the location of the electrical control pod pins and drilled the holes.

Besides a slight rub on the throttle cable housing, the clearance is fine.

The angle of the bars is not ideal, but is acceptable. It must have gained me 2" near the outside of the bars. The result is dramatic! The whole attitude of the bike has changed. It is now easy to drone along with traffic. And my neck is much happier.

One thing I did notice is that the new bar height and angle makes the bike steer much quicker, because of the increased leverage. It took some getting used to.

I will be putting the bars back in the stock positions for track days, but for every day riding this mod can't be beat. And it cost me exactly $0.00.

Here are photos. Before and After

Attachments

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Although I'm fine with the positioning of the handle bars I still think it's very cool! Good idea. Reps for you man.

·
Registered
5 Posts
doesn't it angle the ends of the bars up instead of down? I would think the change would feel very odd and be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Genmar product for the 05/06 ZX6, nor Heli, nor any other I could find, except Convertibars and Verio ($$). Although I do see that Heli now has bar risers for the 07/08 ZX6. ($)

The angle is up instead of down, which is how you get the higher position. And as I said, the angle is not ideal, but is fine for me.

I too, don't hae a "problem" with the stock position for aggressive riding and track days, but for long trips, trolling in traffic, and keeping a sedate pace on the street, I much prefer the higher position. I did a 4 hour ride last weekend in much more comfort than in the stock position.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, thank you for the handle bar flip idea! I've been looking for a solution for my aching wrists, especially commuting or riding in traffic. I have a 2006 ZX10. Will the handlebar flip work on a ZX10?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Ken.
Thank you for the handle bar flip idea! I've been looking for a solution for my aching wrists, especially commuting or riding in traffic. I have a 2006 ZX10. Will the handlebar flip work on a ZX10?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts