Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend told me about this today, she heard the story on the radio a few days ago.....Florida passed a law that requires first time riders to take the class

http://tampabay.com/news/transportation/article648593.ece

ps- I know the article is dated June 28th...but I just found out about it

I personally took the class, and would have regardless, but interesting none the less

·
Neutered
9,683 Posts
IMO, previously, the types of people that weren't already voluntarily taking the class are the types of people that won't bother getting their endorsement in the first place. So this new law is just another way of being redundant while not accomplishing anything whatsoever. Like most laws.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, squids will be squids (I often times wonder if I am one, since I'm a noob, but I feel like I lack the squidly characteristics ) I'm pretty safe, and ride within my limit. Although I would never let a friend/family member/significant other buy/ride a bike unless they passed the class with flying colors and I was there watching them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMO, previously, the types of people that weren't already voluntarily taking the class are the types of people that won't bother getting their endorsement in the first place. So this new law is just another way of being redundant while not accomplishing anything whatsoever. Like most laws.

I disagree, many people ride motorcycles that have never taken that class and never will. Its for newer riders that want to get on the road. Also the law seems to mainly focus on scooters that pass as motorcycles(not sure what the limit is) BUT for those who were above 21 and only needed to pass the test. Knowing how to ride a bike was secondary as long as they knew traffic laws and lane positions. I still dont understand how dealerships let people ride away on their bikes w/o a license. The law makes sense, and It does keep those who didnt want to take the class off the road (legally). The next step for FL is to pass a helmet law requiring you to keep the lid on at all times. I can't STAND the guys i see riding around with me that don't cover up. :mad:

·
Neutered
9,683 Posts
I disagree, many people ride motorcycles that have never taken that class and never will. Its for newer riders that want to get on the road. Also the law seems to mainly focus on scooters that pass as motorcycles(not sure what the limit is) BUT for those who were above 21 and only needed to pass the test. Knowing how to ride a bike was secondary as long as they knew traffic laws and lane positions. I still dont understand how dealerships let people ride away on their bikes w/o a license. The law makes sense, and It does keep those who didnt want to take the class off the road (legally). The next step for FL is to pass a helmet law requiring you to keep the lid on at all times. I can't STAND the guys i see riding around with me that don't cover up. :mad:
Maybe they changed something after I got my endorsement, then, because back then you either had to take the MSF driving course, or pass a physical riding test at the DMV that was about 10x harder than the test in the MSF course.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard the DMV road test isn't any different than the MSF class, thats just what I heard. I also heard that the written test is night and day between the two. MSF is much easier and you shouldn't be worried as long as you know your stuff, but the state exam is a pain in the ass. Either way I think you read it wrong, I meant the test as in written test from the state in my comment.....not the driving portion. I believe the what the law states is that you must complete the MSF course regardless. That you no longer have the option of taking the road portion of the exam through the state. I can't find the article my girl showed me this afternoon when I started this thread.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I heard the DMV road test isn't any different than the MSF class, thats just what I heard. I also heard that the written test is night and day between the two. MSF is much easier and you shouldn't be worried as long as you know your stuff, but the state exam is a pain in the ass. Either way I think you read it wrong, I meant the test as in written test from the state in my comment.....not the driving portion. I believe the what the law states is that you must complete the MSF course regardless. That you no longer have the option of taking the road portion of the exam through the state. I can't find the article my girl showed me this afternoon when I started this thread.
I too heard that the state motorcycle test was really hard and not meant for a sportbike by any means. Which would make it very difficult for the majority of us.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Speaking if squidding, the other day I was driving around in the car and noticed maybe 10 bikers, only 1 of whom had his full gear. Granted, it was a hot day, but still.

If there's a law for people to wear seatbelts, for example, there should be a law for motorcyclists to wear proper gear. Obviously, the law doesn't allow someone to take their life into their own hands by their own choice by not wearing a seatbelt, so a naturally extension for bikes vis-a-vis gear would only make sense.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Speaking if squidding, the other day I was driving around in the car and noticed maybe 10 bikers, only 1 of whom had his full gear. Granted, it was a hot day, but still.

If there's a law for people to wear seatbelts, for example, there should be a law for motorcyclists to wear proper gear. Obviously, the law doesn't allow someone to take their life into their own hands by their own choice by not wearing a seatbelt, so a naturally extension for bikes vis-a-vis gear would only make sense.
how hot was it? that does come in to play. no offence, but im not wearing a jacket, and riding pants, when its 106 outside with 59% humidity.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

Maybe instead of new laws you should question ones that exist. Maybe there shouldn't be a seatbelt law in the first place.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
as for laws about gear and seatbelts,i think its stupid, the only people those laws can harm are them selfs. and if you dont want to wear a helmet, seat belt or gear, so be it. its only going to kill themselfs.
and all the cruiser riders who wear half helmets, those arnt even legal but nobody cars

·
Registered
744 Posts
pretty sure is there will b no dmv test and everyone has to take msf who doesnt already have the endorsment. if u get caught with out it is a misdemeanor( also heard they were trying for felony due to all fatalities, a little extreme). yea here in tallahassee we have a big scooter prob because of college. and tons of kids ride them and wreck into and on everything. funny thing is all of the athletes on scholarship get one and now the school will have to shell out money and make them take the course

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.