Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i purchased flush mount front signal lights...had to decide between stick on, or screw on...

decided to go for the screw ons... boy, what a job to install them!
started 10:00am, finished approx. 3:00pm..

forced to take off upper fairing, inner fairings, air dam, disconnect all wiring, and stock turn signals.. also needed to cut out a clearance for the new lights since they are flush mount and most of the body is inserted and screwed on...that was the job! hacksaw and all...cut a nice upside down "u" on the airdam and covered up the sides so incoming air wouldn't leak out..also used the original boot rubber that came with the stock unit... cut it down to size though...very useful!.... looks stock!
these lights better last long... it would suck it they burned out soon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
cut a nice upside down "u" on the airdam and covered up the sides so incoming air wouldn't leak out

TO HELL WITH CUTTING THE RAMAIR BOX THERE HAS TO BE ANOTHER WAY???
PICS.. I GOT SOME LOCKHART.. LIGHTS BUT DID NOT FIT... GOT THE SCREW ONS BUT WOULD NOT FIT... SO I RETURNED THEM.. I DONT WANT TO CUT THAT AIR BOX.. AND I AM NOT GOING TO... ANYONE KNOW WHICH ONES FIT.... FLUSH MOUNT LIGHTS... ZX6R YELLOW 01... LET ME KNOW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you guys tried the Gregg's custom's they are alot more than lockhart, but they use washers bolts to attach to the inside lip of the fairing, with no cutting, drilling, breaking.
You still have to remove the upper to install but much better than cutting your upper..

Mark @ Breaklites

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
guys, anything that requires a screw on/bolt on from behind will need clearance which is not available... remember the stock turn signals are rubber inserts at the stem. not screws or bolts... they're designed that way because there is no clearance directly behind the fairing...removing the stock units exposes the black plastic ramair tube..you can't even stick your finger in it..there's no clearance!

cutting is the only way... unless you go with something that is similar to the stock setup where a rubber boot plugs into the opening or a stick on adhesive type signal that covers the opening.

I will upload pics of my install tomorrow...it looks like a stick on, but it's actually screwed on from behind...

the ram air tube was cut, but the way it was cut and covered does not affect air flow whatsoever...I think it's very professional.

Note: after installing the flush mounts I came across a website that sells even better looking flush mounts (different sizes and color lenses) for only $15.00... front or rear.. they actually look nicer than the $21.99 SPD09737 flush mounts I installed...

I've already ordered the short stem black w/clear lense for the rear!
goto www.newportcycleparts.com

·
Registered
934 Posts
Umm, I installed a set of LP flush mounts on my '01. I screwed them on and did NOT perform any cutting of the ram air anything... I simply trimmed the excess length off the screws tight to the nuts & washers on the inside of the upper fairing. It didn't require any more clearance than the stock set-up.
(I did have the fairing off when I did the install.)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Vitoant, if where you asking about my flush mounts... They are Lockhart Phillips flush mount marker lights, one of the first three versions (I cannot remember technically which) and are quiet readily available and inexpensive.

Rainman, thanks... it is my first toy/baby!! :D
One day I will upgrade... one day! ;)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah BSHAP... definetly a great looking rig. Not that I didn't like mine either. You know how it goes...

Up for the BB this Saturday? Not going for any records...

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have the same bike and just put the same flush mount lights on the front. i found that if you take the spacer/mounting piece from the stock turn signals and, with a little mod. to the purchased lights, it looks way better than actually mounting the flush, not to mention it's way easier to mount them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.