Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember THIS THREAD I posted ages ago.

Well, today we go out in the twisties for a pretty decent romp. Gas up, and with several riding buddies as a witness, I re-attach the solo cowl and push till I get the "click". Take off, and anal as I am ever since my previous incident, I check it again reaching back as we accelerate away. Not TWO MINUTES later, there it goes, skipping down the highway.

UNBELIEVABLE.

Last time I took it to a paint shop to have it repainted (since I wanted my hugger done anyway). This time, it's going back to the dealer to have them stand behind it and get me a new one. My buddies make fun of me for constantly reaching back during rides to check it's still in place. Now they understand why.

Oh, and please don't post up your "rider error" or "not properly attached" comments - I think judging by the fact it's happened to me twice plus a third time I "caught" it, and by the fact that I'm certainly not the only one it's happened to (read the original thread), it's more than a case of me doing it wrong. I'm anal about making sure it's on there good.

I'll keep yas posted, but UGH I HATE riding with the damn passenger seat in place. Sigh... [V]

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I remember that original post... that sucks DJ, hopefully they'll fix you up with new one. I wonder if the mechanism is being updated for 04??? If not ya better safety-wire that sucker on ;)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeaha I'm with ya. "Homeless" huh Grunt? Wife kick ya out? Spending your mortgage money on the bike? What gives?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
You should try getting one of these cunning tail fairings that just doesn't have a solo cowl to fly off like I do!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly SB, I'd actually love to, except I REALLY don't wanna carry my wallet and keys and hat (and sometimes phone) in my riding gear... the bike's still primarily a street machine and I'll do occasional track days. But I DIG the look of the one-piece rear... just a lot racier. Don't get me started on your sweet ride anyway, I can't afford to think about dumping more coin into this bike right now... :(

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
You could probably aquire a rear section and have it painted for less than $500. I always carry my wallet, keys and cell phone on me - ya never know when your bike is gonna burn after you toss it down that 1,000ft cliff!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CDN... never heard that... thx... might have to check into it. I'm sure the dealer will lemme know if there's new hardware I can pick up to help solve this issue.

Psycho... bah... passengers. I took off my passenger pegs a long time ago. Passengers are a great way to spoil a good ride in my flawed opinion... ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
blah..i bought my 03 in june...had a problem when i first got the bike with the cowl coming off but after i got used to it it was fine. Laid the bike down..and had to replace the rear fairing..ever since then...nothing but a pain in the rear end to even take off or put on..even the passenger seat sucks putting on and off. It's almost embarrassing.....

·
Registered
493 Posts
hey dj the same thing happened to me, i got on the brakes and hit a huge bump in the rod i felt it hit me in the shoulder and boumce off it hit the tail and fell to the clutch side and i caught it against the side of the bike with my leg and arm pinching it, i nearly went down! i was so happy it didnt fall the i set it on my half tank bra and come to a stop, it slides and scratches my tank(MINUTE SCRATCH) but son of a BITCH< and i was sure mine was clicked in too

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well here's an UPDATE for you all...

Visited the dealer yesterday, and the head mechanic came out, fiddled with it a little, and said "I'll get you a new one with all the hardware. Gimme about 3 weeks for shipping."

Kudos to Two Wheel Motorsports in Guelph for standing behind the stuff they sell, and I guess indirectly to Kawasaki for same.

Next year I might try and set up with some race plastic for the bike, but until then, I was glad to hear the boys at the dealership are backing their customers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My seat almost came off when it started to rain the other day, I felt it hit my back and I was able to pull off to the side of the road. Luckly I use a ziploc bag to put my insurance and registration that I tuck under my tool kit. After that I always check it or reach back to make sure that it's on there good.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had some guys comming to me with this issue and I fixed them with a little bit of weight. I know that sound horrible (adding weight to a sportbike), but it works great if you don't mind the extra ounces. I just glue a small weight to the upper inside of the cowl and it stays clicked in to the latch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
By the way.... I have an 03 RR and have never had this problem. I have done consistant 140+ runs with no hint of loosening or anything.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Dj;

I've heard about this phenom... the renegade solo seat cowl sort of scares me. Ask CDN, I can be about as anal as they come, when it concerns the fit and finish.

Unfortunetly, work has all but consumed my waking hours, so I haven't had any quality time to spend on the 636. I don't know first hand, what this problem is all about; but to counter it, you could try to pry the bushing stays out just a touch to make 'em real snug (up where it hinges...). I think it's an acceptable hassle for the security.

Ugh, passenger seats should only be used as a last resort...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Dah! Experience the 'air-borne' seat cowl last night.

Pulled out of the parking lot and gave 'er the Big Onion by a car full of chicks, only to feel a gentle thump against my back. I realized what it was right away, and reached back to grab it.

Lucky for me I got to pull over and make sure that it was on the next time I left. Paranoid as all hell now though...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.