Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got off my ass and finshed my solo seat. I didn't want to buy a cowl because I ride 2 up and solo alot so it would be a pain in the ass to remove the cowl and swap body work all the time. Anyways, this was my first time re-covering a seat, it has a few wrinkles but all in all I think it came out really nice, plus I can go from a solo bike to a 2 up bike in like 15 seconds, here are some pics what do you guys think?

·
Registered
442 Posts
thats awesome i would love doing something like that to my 250r. it makes it look a lot meaner[}:)]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, basically you have two options if you want a "solo" style seat like the newer larger bikes. Option one can be found here - http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/kawiz/EX5001994-06.htm#price and looks like this -

It will cost you $207.02 plus S&H, the only problem with that, from my point of view is you'll have to go thru the troubles of taking off your bodywork if you want to ride two up, and swap it back if you want to go back to a solo seat. Now if your just gonna use your bike for racing where changing your bodywork over wouldn't be a problem, that might be an easier option for you.

Anyways, I started of with an old seat I bought off of ebay for $10. It had a nice sized rip in it so I tore the leather off of it and cleaned the seat pan down. Next I got a block of styrofoam and shaped it to the style that I wanted -

Next, since fiberglass resin will "eat" styrofoam I decided to put a light coat of bondo filler over it, although I accidently covered it a bit to much so there was uber amounts of sanding [}:)]-

So after abround 3 hours of sanding it was ready for the fiberglass -

Sorry I didn't take pictures of the fiberglass process, but I'll try to explain it. First off you can get fiberglass and the resin with the hardener at any auto parts store, or even wal-mart. At wal-mart at least, you can buy the fiberglass mat in 4sq ft mats, 8sq ft mats or 16sq ft mats, I bought the 4sq ft mat and had a little extra left over. I cut 3" strips the legth of the cowl, brushed them down with the resin and laid them down on the cowl. The directions say you have to wait 4 hours to let it set up but I wated a day just to be sure. The next day, I cut 4" strips and repeated the process again, except this time I laid them accross the cowl instead of length wise.

After that set up, I sanded it down, and put a LIGHT coat of bondo on the surface and then did a finish sand. After that I preped it then primed it. I did 2 wet sands then painted it, after two more wet sands and three more coats of paint it was ready for clear, I put two coats of clear on, LIGHT wet sanding in between, here is the final result -

I wasn't to pleased with how the seat wrinkled up, but after my third ride on it, it smoothed out and looks fine, If anyone wants some more info, just ask, hope this helps some of you guys out.

·
Registered
522 Posts
pretty slick...what did you end up covering/painting with? i think ill end up doing this over the winter. might go a bit higher on the cowl...just to make it stand out a bit more. what did you use for padding your butt? and as far as the seat goes, how did you streach the fabric and whatnot? did you make it more a 636 etc seat? and bolt it onto the old seat form? or did you make it like stock and just somehow fasten the material to the face of the cowl?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used a matallic grey car paint for the bike, and the seat foam was from the original pan, Basically for the leather on the seat, what I did was sit next to the heater and get it warmed up and then streched by hand. It's stapeled to the underside of the pan like it was from the factory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.