Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It's almost that time and this is my first winter with the bike. I've read all about fogging oil and have decided that I will fog my cylinders when I'm ready to winterize this year.

The question is - If my bike's rear wheel locks when engaged in 1'st gear, how do I rotate the cylinders to spread the fogging oil?

My bike is an '06 ZZR600 by the way.

Sub-question - what is cross threading with respect to reinstalling spark plugs[?]

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
374 Posts
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fog.aspx?zo=210176
I assume you plan to spray this in thru the spark plug holes..
after spraying into spark plug holes, to rotate engine and circulate in cylinders, before installing spark plugs you can rotare the engine this way..turn on the key and hit the starter a few seconds to spin the motor over several times.

to prevent cross threading the plugs start the plugs into the holes by hand.. just like putting on lugnuts on a wheel, start them on the threads by hand... crossthreading is when you just screw them in without getting them started with the treads misaligned, and you ruin the treads... hope this helps

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
you could also rotate the engine by putting the bike in gear and pushing it a little bit (with the spark plugs out) same effect as the starter, but useful if you took your battery is out or dead.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by freebird5150
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fog.aspx?zo=210176
I assume you plan to spray this in thru the spark plug holes..
after spraying into spark plug holes, to rotate engine and circulate in cylinders, before installing spark plugs you can rotare the engine this way..turn on the key and hit the starter a few seconds to spin the motor over several times.

to prevent cross threading the plugs start the plugs into the holes by hand.. just like putting on lugnuts on a wheel, start them on the threads by hand... crossthreading is when you just screw them in without getting them started with the treads misaligned, and you ruin the treads... hope this helps

Thank you - Very helpful indeed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by ginofultano
you could also rotate the engine by putting the bike in gear and pushing it a little bit (with the spark plugs out) same effect as the starter, but useful if you took your battery is out or dead.
The problem is my bike's rear wheel locks when it's engaged in 1'st gear. I don't know if it's a model specific issue or just my year, but on a rear stand or while mounted on the bike, in 1'st gear the rear wheel locks and it will not move. If I click it back into neutral it moves just fine.

·
Registered
374 Posts
your wheel will not turn by hand in gear because of the high compression of the engine. this is normal. with the spaark plugs removed you should be able to roll the bike in first gear( no plugs no compression). even with the plugs removed you probably cant turn the rear wheel in gear on the stand.

also very important to drain the fuel from each carb (drain screws on bottom of float bowls) when you store your bike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by freebird5150
your wheel will not turn by hand in gear because of the high compression of the engine. this is normal. with the spaark plugs removed you should be able to roll the bike in first gear( no plugs no compression). even with the plugs removed you probably cant turn the rear wheel in gear on the stand.

also very important to drain the fuel from each carb (drain screws on bottom of float bowls) when you store your bike.

I never even considered the compression - Good explanation!!! Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.