Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... replaced fuel pump relay... asll is good! go to fire it up, it starts, 20 seconds later starts making a ticking noise. I have no idea what to look for. I dont think its anything external... im clueless... it doesnt sound like knock but it sounds like metal hittin metal somewher.e.. tips? what should I check?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope... thats turned on! The ticking sounds like a motor noise! Would the fact that the bike was started up and ran for a couple minutes on the kickstand.. .where it was tilted and all... after not being fun for almost 3 months... could it just be that the oil is not flowing correctly? Like.. it sounds like valvetrain noise.. is the position of the bike related to oil flow?

·
Registered
252 Posts
can you tell appx. how many ticks per minute (or second).. does the ticking come from the engine (ie: does the sound get more defined when you listen close to the right side of fairing), or maybe near the triple-tree? I only ask because mine always has a "slight" ticking noise (appx. 6-8 ticks p/second)eminating from the right side of engine only when I start it -- it goes away after I begin to ride (I've never NOTICED it ater riding, only before)... not that it helps you any [V]

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Light tics are usually okay, heavy tics or KNOCKS aren't. Have you changed the oil yet?
BC.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they were heavy ticks... i took the head off this evening...found a mess. cylinder walls scratched up, one of the valves was crushed... i dunno what happened. the #4 piston looked like there was about to be a hole in it! i didnt let it run very long and stuff.... but i dont think i saved much. im gonna get the motor out tomorrow, get it bored out, decked, head rebuilt, etc... or im thinkin of a zx7r motor... will it fit? if so... anyone have one?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Did one of the spark plugs break off in the head?
Strange to just trash a valve like that. How many miles were on the bike?
I wonder if the PO never did a valve adjustment, and it ate up a valve...

BC.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The ZX-7R motor won't fit. Your best bet money wise is probably to get a used engine/transmission off eBay or from a wrecker.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i talked to the guy i got it from.. he knew nothing about needing to adjust valves. bike has 23k on it...[:0]

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Well, there ya go. Needs a new valve, piston, hone the cylinder, valve seat, rings.
Bah, might be cheaper to pick up a motor (stolen or not) from ebay and either swap the entire engine, or swap the cases and piston parts if you need/want teh nuumbers to match.

BC.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dont care about numbers matching, going for more performance anyways. i want to bore out what i could and get forged pistons or something... not sure whats in there.. just so i can spray nitrous on it also. i love nitrous... but anyways... im def. doing the rebuild. almost got the motor out of her... just gonna strip it down by tomorrow hopefully and get it under way. where can i find a good piston kit?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.