Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the beginning of the season i flushed my coolant >>flash forward>> My fan isn't turning on to cool the radiator, flushed it 3 more times >FF> Assumed broken fan until after manually turning the fan upon inspection sand fell out, problem solved until I realized fan was still not turning on >FF> I arrived home one night about 2 months later when after killing the engine I heard the fan spooling down. I restarted the bike and it ran until the temp light came on and no fan once again. I repeated this step several times sometimes fan will come on, sometimes not. At this point I can't get it to turn on at all, and im thinking it is a faulty relay in part #27002-0007 @ ~$85

I returned home from my local Kawasaki dealer today with the information that I should try jumping my water temp sensor #21176 (located in the back of cylinder 1) ~$55 and in doing so managed to trip a FI light. No fan activity :confused:

what is known:
The fan is not dead
There is a switch "thing" that is not telling the fan when it needs to turn on
There are no bubbles in the coolant line
Im new to electrical and may be an idiot about this whole thing.

I have been chasing this all summer and have consulted with all of my riding friends and its time to see what the forums can do for me, Im hoping for the best. :(

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds to me like its the sensor switch not kicking the fan on or a fuse. I to am not very good with the electrical side of things but u just have to remember everything has a point A and point B. You'll have to start at ur power source and keep following till u find ur fault. Sorry I can't give a specific answer to ur problem but hope this helps a little

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im still banking on the Relay, because if the temp light is receiving a signal that should mean that the switch is working. I'm just reluctant to buy the plastic box for $85

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*Update*

I purchased the Relay bank (#27002-0007) at a keen 90 sumthin' dollars, fired it up and let it run to see what would happen first; Fan kicks on/everyone rejoices, or the temp light comes back on and the magic words flow like the mighty Mississippi.

Well the latter came to fruition, so I am once again stuck. I have consulted multiple mechanics and fellow riders and no one has any idea. One day (ONE DAY) last season I pulled it into the garage and upon killing the engine the fan wound down proving that The fan works, but only under the most perfect of circumstances. I don't want to take it to the shop for A) fear that it will be outrageously expensive B) Im a "Do it yourself-er" and C) The part they told me to replace, doesn't exist on my bike.

I don't know if anyone can really help me here, I'm just hoping to get lucky that someone might have had this problem as well

The current updated knowns:
Its not the relay bank
The fuse is fine
The fan is not dead
Something is impeding the signal for the fan to turn on
There are no bubbles in the coolant line
Im "novice" to electrical and may be an idiot about this whole thing (still)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check that the water temp sensor is working. You should be able to find a voltage range online somewhere. Basically you measure it after it's been running for awhile and if the voltage output is out of normal range you have a bad sensor.

Check for secure grounds and that the circuit is complete. You can get a test light and just follow the circuit for the fan to see if it's getting power and at what point it stops.

Here is a video that has a little bit on how to use a test light. Hopefully I'm not breaking a forum rule. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts