Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in a retarded mood and running late for a buddy's Wold CUP FINAL get together, so I was riding very spirited, taking some ramps at 3 digit speeds, and getting nice and low.

On my last ramp, I actually couldn't believe how nice I managed to get through it (faster then ever before, and it felt like I could've dragged my knee if I wasn't in jeans). Right after straightening up, I got to grab the next gear, and my left foot can't find a peg. I think nothing of it, and assume that my peg (aftermarket without a return spring) has just swung upwards and I have to kick it back down. As I was close enought to my exit, I just left it until I exited the highway.

I look down, and all I see is the mounting base with like a 1" stubby of a mounting bolt left. My peg is completely MIA. As annoying as it is, I managed to still ride it home resting my heel on this 1" bolt.

Now I'm just wondering, are aftermarked parts just POS and it loosened up, or did I "brush it" by leaning too much? I'm also wondering if I could've cracked it by putting too much weight on it while hanging off the bike, and then it just fell off.

Anyone ever experience anything like this?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I still have stock stuff on my bike so no I havent had any problems with that. but my question is: Why did you take your foot off the peg in the first place?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm guessing you forgot to locktite the bolt... Its a motorcycle man, you have to locktite pretty much everything!

·
Registered
452 Posts
you would have noticed if you would have knocked it off or if it hit the ground

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Why did you take your foot off of the peg? If I lost mine, my foot would fall.

What kind of foot peg was this? If you had a set of quality aftermarket rearsets, then no, they're far better than the OEM.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the deal guys.
These were some aftermarked "garbage" pegs. Not rear sets. Some el cheapo crap that was sitting on a self which I got because I needed a peg ASAP after finding by baby laying on its side in a lot.

Anyways, I don't think I scraped it either since I'm sure it would've upset the bike if I did.

I remember running into some traffic just after the "big lean" and having to drop a few gears while braking. This is when I took my foot off while kicking down a gear, and as I went to put it back on the peg, found nothing but air. Like I said, there's still a 1" or more stubby left where the cylindrical peg was screwed into, so I still had something to catch... just not much.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
maybe its just me but i dont pick my foot off the peg when i am shifting... instead of buying some cheap piece spend the decent money and get something worth while... just remember if its cheap in price then its like that for a reason...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes... I agree with you.... I went with this chepo set cause I couldn't wait for the shop to order me something decent. It's my daily driver and it's pretty hard to ride without a peg.
Regardless, I actually found the POS on the way back from work.
It looks like it just backed out from the vibrations. I've got it back on so that I can ride again while I order and wait for a real setup.

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Cool. Glad you found it. I never have luck finding stuff where I think they are. You will definitely appreciate some decent aftermarket rearsets. They're well worth their price.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rear sets are on my list of things to get.
I think however, I will invest in a stabilizer first, as I'm being more and more agressive these days, and the roads around here are not that smooth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.