Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before any flaming, I've spent the past hour reading threads on this site as well as another site on oils. I'm posting here as it's 03 636 specific and there are more here.

I've somewhat decided to go with the Mobil 1 15W50. One concern I had is that it seems many V bikes are using it. Is it ok for inline-4's? Don't inline-4's rev higher?

For those with 03 636's using Mobil 1 15W50, any problems? With money not being an issue, would you still use it, or get a 'motorcycle' specific oil?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I don't have the 2003 model, but I used Mobile 1 15W50 in 3 of my bikes (1 inline 4 and 2 inline twins) and they all seemed to love it. They shifted smooth, no clutch slippage and they almost seem to run alittle cooler.

I have since stopped using it only because it's kinda expensive, but if money wasn't an issue for me I'd still be using it.

It's a popular oil to use, so I'm sure some guys riding the 2003 model will give their input as well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andy, what are you using as a 'cheaper' alternative? I was under the impression that this 15W50 was cheaper than 'motorcycle' specific oil. That is what I was asking.

·
Registered
344 Posts
FWIW, I used to use Mobil 1 15W-50 in our motorcycles and never had any problems.

I recently switched to ELF 10W-40 full synthetic in all our bikes. The decision was based on the fact that motorcycle oils are different than car oils and I would rather err on the side of safety rather than saving a few bucks.

From http://www.mobil1.com ...

ExxonMobil® offers three Mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oils for motorcycles. Although Mobil 1 15W-50 has been used in 4-cycle motorcycle engines, ExxonMobil engineers recommend using Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oils, since they have been specifically optimized for motorcycle applications. Be sure to follow your owner's manual for recommended oil and filter change frequencies.

The oil debate will never end.

2003 ZX6R (636)
2002 CBR-954
1993 EX-500 (Wife's bike)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
After ten thousand miles on my bike - not easy ones either - not to mention at least 1,500 track miles I pulling the motor apart. So far I've only been able to get the valve cover off (waiting on a specific tool) but there are absolutly NO witness marks on any of the cam lobes at all. No clutch slippage, nor any other gremlins to speak of. I'd like to thank Modil MX4T for my good fortune.

When the motor comes completely apart I'll let you guys know exaclty how everything else stood up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Currently I have Mobil 1 15x50 in mine. Before this I had Mobil 1 MX4T. I can't tell a difference in shifting or engine.

IMO, if money is of no concern, then just play it safe with the Motorcycle specific. I will probably switch back to the Moto oil for my next changes.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"Andy, what are you using as a 'cheaper' alternative? I was under the impression that this 15W50 was cheaper than 'motorcycle' specific oil. That is what I was asking."

people make fun of me but I started using SL rated Deisel oil cause it's sold really cheap. My zx-6r seems to really like it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
(question) if a bike has had regular oil in it and the oil has only been changed once is it to late to switch to synthetic.[?]and if i can use it what brand at type is good?
the bike has 4013 miles on it and what mileage would you change it at i was thinking of changing it soon.
please reply...

keep one wheel up(you choose which one)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i dont really think it's ever too late to switch to synthetic...the only argument against switching to synthetic is that if you engine is old and leaky, the non sythtic oil helps "plug" the leaks...but with only 4000 miles on your motor, you would be fine to switch to synthetic....

what concerns me is the fact tyhat you have 4000 miles on the engine and the oil was only changed once, when was it changed? at the 500 mile mark? Casue you can do some damage to you engine if you dont change the oil frequently dueing the first 1000 mile break in....

but to be honest, I never really found any metal shaving in my oil...so you might be ok....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.