Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about 5'2...(maybe a lil less hehe) and ya i loooooooooooovvvee my new bike but im on tippy toes when i stop.... like TIPPY toes!! it makes me hella nervous... i just have this feeling my foot is gonna slip and down i go! ya know?! i was told that over time the suspension would loosen and it would eventually lower.... but i dont know if i should wait that long, or if its gonna be enough... should i buy the alternative seat for like 200+ or should i put lowering links on it?!

(i feel like i post alot, but this is the only way i get straight forward answers....) THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I doubt the suspension will 'loosen' as much as you would actually need it to loosen, unless you weighed like 300lbs!! As opposed to paying 200$ for a new seat, why don't you have yours shaved? My hubby shaved his (for comfort, not height) but took a good bit off and there's a sh*t load of foam in there. He has an 05 636. Someone has also posted a 'how to' on here somewhere. Do a lil' search and see what you come up with. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
hmmm... i hear this ALOT. i am 4 feet 10 inches with a 29.5 inch inseam. the seat height on my ex is currently 31 inches, due to extensive modification...i take off and land from one foot all the time. i have't dropped it at a stop in over 10,000 miles, and have never dropped it since it was raised.

i wouldn't lower. and i don't say that just because i actually raised my bike about 3 inches... if you want to lower properly, you have to do the front and back and i would reccommend a professional do it (possibly expensive), otherwise the bike will handle poorly. going too far down (even if you do front and back) also will cause a drop in handling.

if you're so uncomfortable doing one foot that you absolutely can't take the idea of getting used to it, here are some of your other options:

taller boots- not just a heel but a thicker sole all the way around. i can actually tippy toe on both sides if i wear my icon super duty boots, which have about 3/4 in sole on them. joe rocket orbit boots also have a nice sole that resembles a dr marten.

seat shave- i can't recall how thick the padding is on your specific seat, but this is a favourite trick of ex 250 and 500 riders everywhere... take the seat off, remove the staples holding the nogahide on and use an eletric turkey carving knife (trust me, your grandmother has one!) to slice about half of your foam off.

rear shock preload adjustment- make the rear spring a little softer so that when you are sitting on it, it compresses a little further. some people insist that you need to use a spanner wrench for this. i have found that a hammer and very large flat head screwdriver works too. there are ratios for how much bounce and preload a rider should have for a given type of riding, like this one (scroll down past the parts ads): http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Suspension1.html
if you have adjustable front forks, i would reccommend doing those when you do the rear. just to be safe. don't want the front end and the ass end bouncing at different rates!!!

that's about all i can think of. sorry if that sounds less encouraging as far as installing the lowering links, i'm just not a fan. maybe someone on here loves them and can give you some advice about the best way to actually install that setup.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I'm 5"2 and my 04 ZX6R is lowered about an inch at the forks and the rear suspension has been lowered by taking out the spacer. I can get the ball of one foot down at a stop but I'm tippie toes with two feet. I find if I shuffle my bum to the side at stops I can sometimes get my whole foot down. I did test ride your bike when it first came out and I was sitting on it with tippie toes. I was dead scared of dropping it considering it wasnt my bike but I felt if I purchased one I wouldnt have altered the ride height (I was test riding the bike for my mum who has zero confidence and wouldnt test ride it herself because of the fear of making an ass of herself!). I havent dropped the 636 yet but my previous bike (ZZR250) I dropped quite a few times even though the seat height was quite lower and I was more comfortable sitting on it. I find that I have to plan everywhere I go (Parking, road angle etc) so that I don't get myself into trouble. I'll go the long way around if it means avoiding a left hand incline where I'm likely to drop the bike because I couldnt reach the ground!

If you find yourself racked with fear everytime you stop then I would advise lowering it. A bike is an expensive investment that can be damaged very easily. If preventing some serious cosmetic damage means lowering it then do it. My 636 at stock height means I cant touch the ground at all so lowering it was a must. You said when you stop you are on tippies toes? Are you stopping with both feet on the ground? You really should only stop with your left leg down (right leg to cover the rear brake) Like I said, if you shuffle your bum over and hang a bit off the bike you'll be surprised how much more foot you can get down. Another good idea is to shave your seat. If you're lucky you can get about an inch out of that alone!

I think most of it is about being comfortable with your bikes height and weight. I know yours is a new bike to you so lower it and get used to it then maybe you can raise it back up in the future. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well.... it happened... I DROPPED IT FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! so lame.... my foot slipped... i slipped.... my bike slipped!! no real damage done... just scratched the paint and bruised my ego...[V] even though i fell ive become more comfortable with the height and riding it.. but the worse part was being alone, trying to pick it up was a bitch, but luckily someone stopped and helped me... im just worried if something alot worse happens and im all alone.. eek... i need riding buddies asap! lol

·
Registered
363 Posts
lower it and put frame sliders. if you aren't comfortable on the bike than you are just looking for trouble. i am only 5'1 so i know how u feel hun. but trust me on this one, get a lowering kit for it. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by LISA_ZX6RR
lower it and put frame sliders. if you aren't comfortable on the bike than you are just looking for trouble. i am only 5'1 so i know how u feel hun. but trust me on this one, get a lowering kit for it. :)
I've lowered mine 4", I need to be able to flat foot for parking reasons. The dog bones for any bike are faily cheap and take no time to install.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
i agree with everyone. if you're really freaked out, you just need to do whatever you need to do to be most comfortable. that's going to be the most important thing.

but don't feel bad about the drop. everyone drops their bike. my bike hit the groups 6 times in the first 2 seasons i had it. i won't say i wasn't utterly embarassed every dingle time, but like i said, it happens to everone!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've dropped mine ... took me a year, but I finally did it! Didn't do anything major ... just broke the front turn signal housing (replaced for 26$) and a few minor scratches on the mirror and exhaust. Now it has character and I'm not near as paranoid about dropping it :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same fear. When I sat on the'07 250 at the dealer's, it felt good - I could flat on one side with my boots on and toe the other side. However, the thoughts of trying to push it around a parking lot without two full feet down scares me to death. I am 5 1" but my legs are SHORT, so I may end up having it lowered an inch or so. I was talking with a friend (male) who races SV650s. He said that unless I want to drag a knee, a 2" lower will not impact the performace or handling of any bike. That gave me real peace of mind. Happy riding all!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I, too, am short and had seriously considered the 650R...but like most the confidence just wasn't there. I decided on the zzr250 and figured I would build confidence and experience before I decide to move up. Great on those who took the plunge and went for it. I bet you're all enjoying it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also am a shortie, 4'10", put a lowering kit on my 250 dropped about 2", I'm still not flat foot but at least the balls of both my feet touch so I'm much more comfortable. The first time I went out on my bike I dropped it 4 times because it wasn't lowered and I wasn't comfortable & I couldn't reach very well. Since then I have not dropped it once. Here is a pic of it. I also replaced the blinkers and took off the orange flames & put black ones on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow, your bike looks AWESOME in yellow and black!!! SUPER JOB!!!

I have ridden my "new" Ninja 250 (2006 with 370 miles) 3 times so far - I just got the title docs signed by the seller in the mail yesterday and will be getting it registered and a license plate this week. This is part of the reason I have not gone very far on it yet.

I am a little more comfortable with the seat height than I first thought I would be, but still would like to feel a little more steady. I have not had a chance to ride it since last Wednesday - been out of town from Friday morning until yesterday evening and had to get up early for work today. I hope to take her out in the neighborhood this evening near dusk - riding without a plate makes me paranoid. Still thinking about lowering links, but want to give it a few more rides first.

Ride safe ladies!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had to buy lowering links for my bike, they were only like $36. I'm 5'1" and I also had my boots resoled. I took them to a shoe repair place and had them add 1 1/2 inches to the sole. It cost $50 but it made a huge difference!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I currently am sitting stock height on my 08 250, but I'm tippy toing it. My bf is getting me the kit and lowering both the fronet and the back to give me more control and confidence.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use to have a ZZR 600 and I lowered it like 3 inches. I have an 08 ZX6R now and I had to lower it like 2 inches and some on the forks and I going to shave an inch on my seat and replace it with gel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm 5'3 3/4 ...on my bike with a 29.9in seat height, I stand easy on the balls of my feet (the vamp area) but on DH's 919 with a seat height of about 31-32, I tippy toe it so bad, I wouldn't dare ride his bike right now! When he gets ready to buy his R1 we're going to lower the 919 :D

btw ... NICE ride, Wolf Lover!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used Vulcan.. I can sit just about flat footed with sneakers. I'm only 5 1. I must say that I have long legs and extremely short waisted. This is the first and only time I was happy about being short waisted. Where can I get a good pair of boots!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i'd get it lowered.....i''d be nowhere near reaching the ground if i hadn't had mine lowered. i'm 5' and weigh 8stone. my bike doesn't know i'm on it. even with the pre load backed right off.

there is the choice of getting a softer spring too,for lightweight riders

·
Registered
25 Posts
:banana:Well my lil blue 250 is 2" lower in the back and the handle bars are 1" higher and I love it!!!! It does handle differently but I feel so much better having my feet on the ground. Frankly I feel good about the handling.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts