Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For riding Sportsbikes, is it recommended to wear chest armor? I know you can't have too much protection, however is it really neccessary? My buddy told me that chest armor is mainly for motocross or enduro riding. TIA:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am going to say no. Leather jacket takes care of that.

Chest armor would help you should you be thrown off I guess, but like your friend said, its a motocross thing. You go down in race, you don't really want to get crushed by other bikes or handle bars and pegs do you? That is what it was meant for.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You answered your own question when you said "I know you can't have too much protection. . . ."

It's up to you. The more the merrier.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm going to have to say yes. Is it necessary... of course not, but is it a good idea... I'd say so. I know most people don't wear any kind of chest gear, and while leather will certainly protect from road rash, it's not going to help when it comes to taking a blow to the chest, is it?

Think about it... you want to protect your legs and arms... body parts which you can live without if you really had to, but your chest is what holds your heart and lungs, only protected by your ribs... which can and would easily break on solid impact. Based on that, shouldn't it be more important to protect your chest over your arms and legs?

My point is that it would be a very good idea to protect your chest and back. I'm a newbie at only 1000 miles, and I'm currently shopping for the ideal chest and back (and possibly neck) protection to wear under my jacket. Not a lot of people worry about chest protection, but there are some very important organs in there that would be much better off protected in the event you do go down. It wouldn't take much to puncture something on your handlebars or rolling/flying into a tree or curb, or a car for that matter. Just my opinion, but it's a good idea and I'd recommend it. Like I say, I'm ready to spend 300 to 400 bucks on the right piece of gear (to go under my jacket).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You answered your own question when you said "I know you can't have too much protection. . . ."

It's up to you. The more the merrier.
Well, I could wear a race collar too, but I trying to find a good balance between good protection and practicality. I have a HighVelocityGear Juggernaut Armor which I wear under my textile jacket. Super good protection, however it makes it difficult for me to run errands because of the bulk. I'd like to get a good jacket with CE back protector insert, but feel a little nake because I'm so used to the Juggernaut with chest protection. Just wanted to know if that's adequate protection.:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I personally don't but I would knock someone for wearing one. I feel comfortable in just my leathers. But if you feel like it go with it.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Chest protectors are highly recommended, and even sometimes mandatory for track days and racing. There have been several deaths over the past years at the track that probably could have been prevented with chest protectors and a lot of the organizations have started changing their policies with that in mind.

Of course that's the track, and most people don't feel the need to gear up that much for street riding. But if you think about it, there are a whole lot more dangers out there on the street than at the track, so why not wear equal protection?

I say wear as much gear as you can without compromising your overall comfort or ability to operate the machine correctly. There are several kinds of combo chest/spine protectors out there that you can easily wear under a leather jacket. I'd check into those.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
I'm waiting for this place to get the small Knox ones back in stock, but in the meantime, I pulled some old CE armor pads that were in an old cortech leather pants pair and slip them inside my suit on either side of my chest. They're about 1/2" thick Ce foam armor pads, better than nothing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i would recommend it. I have mine coming in the mail. While i was riding on the highway i got hit in the chest by a flying piece of torn semi-tire...so my chest hurt for awhile...its under the thread, Tire Chunk hit me, there are pic's of my bike...it hurt...

·
Registered
885 Posts
I only ride on the track, no street for me. But I wear a chest protector every time I go out.

If I rode street, I would wear it there also.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
can never really have too much gear imho, i mean if you really think about it either your back, chest or side is going to be the first to hit the ground so i say why not, i don't particulary wear them on the street but i'll likely have one for track days next year, i have a spine guard already but we'll see. Like flojoe said there are a million more obstacles on the street than that of the track & if ppl are getting severly hurt on a track w/o them imagine what that obstacle could do on the street

·
Registered
421 Posts
My leather jacket is fine for my chest, but I have a similar question. Anyone think it would be more necessary for women? I'm thinkin about some type of chest protector for my gf when she rides with me.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I'd say a back protector is good to have but an all around chest protector is overkill for the street. On the dirt there's tons of stuff to hit when you take a spill regardless of how slow your going but on the street it's more open and your more likely to slide on the pavement than you are to hit something. There are cases where riders have hit light poles or the rear bumper of box truck but at road speeds I'm not sure a chest protector is gonna do much for you in those extreme cases.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
I'd say a back protector is good to have but an all around chest protector is overkill for the street. On the dirt there's tons of stuff to hit when you take a spill regardless of how slow your going but on the street it's more open and your more likely to slide on the pavement than you are to hit something. There are cases where riders have hit light poles or the rear bumper of box truck but at road speeds I'm not sure a chest protector is gonna do much for you in those extreme cases.
your theory would be correct if we lived in a perfect world & all lanes were 6 wide, there is ten times more shit to hit on the street, curbs, signs, poles, CARS, guard rails, trees, bushes, mailboxes, & the list could go on, to think that because the roost from a dirtbike is the only need for a chest protector is dumb

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
I've noticed that punctured lungs and broken ribs are a common injury to sportbike accidents

·
Moderhater
62,425 Posts
Chest protectors are highly recommended, and even sometimes mandatory for track days and racing. There have been several deaths over the past years at the track that probably could have been prevented with chest protectors and a lot of the organizations have started changing their policies with that in mind.

Of course that's the track, and most people don't feel the need to gear up that much for street riding. But if you think about it, there are a whole lot more dangers out there on the street than at the track, so why not wear equal protection?

I say wear as much gear as you can without compromising your overall comfort or ability to operate the machine correctly. There are several kinds of combo chest/spine protectors out there that you can easily wear under a leather jacket. I'd check into those.
+1 check out the bohn body armor system, they also have neck brace you can get as well. I think it's called a nieat brace ( nee at) correct me if I'm wrong....look into it, I know one of my local track clubs is near that point of making it mandatory.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I wear chest and spine protector under my jacket. Knox armor. Will try to get a picture this weekend(I know I keep saying that).

Man people laugh at me for being fully geared on the street, guess what street is more dangerous than the track. I love my body, and I sure as hell don't have a need to show off(wearing a wifebeater on a bike).

·
Powerhungry
38,138 Posts
had a icon chest protector given to me. kicking my self now, but i sold it..thinking id not need, or want it.
well, now, im considering doing some track days. and find myself looking to buy one.

it was VERY comfy under my jacket. i wore it to deliver it to the guy. for shopping, or trips across town, you probably dont need it. i mean, if its a hassle to put on/off/use.
but for a spirited ride, if uve got it, u better be wearing it.

and get a LEATHER jacket. that mesh is barely better than a t-shirt!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts