Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bored at work here and was thinkin about this...

i only have my race bike to ride and nothing for the street anymore, sometimes i borrow a friends bike and cruise around tho from time to time. my question to you guys/gals is when you guys go street riding do you feel naked on the bike since your not wearing boot/suit/back protector?? im no squid i still wear a jacket/jeans/gloves and either work boots or my race boots when i hit up the street. but just dont feel as invincible as i do when im racing haha:rolleyes:

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is such a coincidence I was going to start a similar thread just now. I have only been riding for a few months and attended my first trackday over the weekend in Miami.
I had the best time ever and think I am addicted!
I am already considering giving up street riding all together and go strictly track.

For those of you who are strictly track how long were you riding on the street before you started to do trackdays?
How long were you riding before you gave up street riding alltogher?

I know you can easily get hurt riding on the track as well but at least it is a controlled environment and you don't have to worry about a car running a red light and plowing into you. There must have been 10 bikes that went down on the track and only 1 person hurt their wrist everyone else was perfectly fine. Bike is another story. I don't think you could say the same about 10 street accidents.

I am like metalkid I wear helmet,jacket,jeans,gloves, etc on street but now it just is feeling like a bad idea..:confused:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i gave up riding the street aboud 6 months into it decided i wanted to dedicate my bike to being a full race bike. if i had to choose only riding one or the other without a doubt it would be racing hands down. i do however miss riding the streets with my buddies on those nice days and im looking forward to gettin another bike to do so. nothing can compare to riding the track tho.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
meh not all the time, if its super hot out ill wear a tee shirt gloves jeans and riding shoes. but i wont go on the highway or anything. the highest speed limit around her is 45 so i just be extra cautious at intersections and stay away from other cars and just be super carefull.

its kinda nice not sweltering to death all the time

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
meh not all the time, if its super hot out ill wear a tee shirt gloves jeans and riding shoes. but i wont go on the highway or anything. the highest speed limit around her is 45 so i just be extra cautious at intersections and stay away from other cars and just be super carefull.

its kinda nice not sweltering to death all the time

im not trying to sound disrespectful but do you ride on the track? before i was doing trackdays i never felt like that either. and just wearing a tshirt is pretty stupid IMHO. no matter how hot it is ill put a jacket on textile or mesh. going down at even 20 mpg without anygear on is not going to be a good time. doctors will have a lot of fun with giving you a skin graph.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
im not trying to sound disrespectful but do you ride on the track? before i was doing trackdays i never felt like that either. and just wearing a tshirt is pretty stupid IMHO. no matter how hot it is ill put a jacket on textile or mesh. going down at even 20 mpg without anygear on is not going to be a good time. doctors will have a lot of fun with giving you a skin graph.
ha no i dont do track and i know what your saying, and i totaly agree. but despite that fact if its over 93 degreese and im not doing any highway riding ill take a lil risk.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The feeling naked on the street is your Survival Instinct telling you that what you're doing is dangerous. Bottom line, riding a bike is dangerous. It is more controlled on the track, and you become accustomed to that safety factor.

Just gear up on the street, ride safely, use all your observation skills to evaluate and mitigate risk as you ride.

At the end of the day, it is up to you to determine the risk factor that you are willing to accept. For some, it is not riding. For others, it is only riding, on the track. For some it is "be really careful on the street". For others it is apparently a t-shirt. It's your skin in the game, choose what you're willing to live with.

But for you t-shirt folks remember the rule of the SWORD:
"Sweat Washes Off Roadrash Doesn't!"
I'll urge you to wear gear, but as I said it's all about the risk you're willing to accept for yourself. I won't preach, name call, or even look down on you. It's your decision and your consequences.

·
Registered
995 Posts
i haven't rode sport bikes on the street in 2 years. i have a Harley Road King i ride on the street and i wear jeans, t-shirt, gloves and a skid lid when i'm on it. i don't feel naked because it is a completely different, more relaxed kind of riding.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I ride on the street in my helmet, leather jacket, race gloves, jeans and normal shoes and feel fine. Anything less and I would be to paranoid to enjoy riding.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I ride in the same gear on the street as on the track, although I haven't picked up a great back protector yet. When I do, I will most likely wear that all the time. Most all the people I ride with do the same. Crashing is crashing, street or track. Gear up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have both a track bike and street bike. My street bike is more like a show bike with custom paint and all the little goodies i could find for it. But i do feel safer at the track. I went down about a year ago on the street ended up braking my collar bone in 3 places, dislocated shoulder, 3 broken ribs and a cracked stermun. ( a guy crashed in front of me and his bike hit my bike making me flip over the handle bars.) (he was acting like a jackass, trying to be cool and show off). So yes the track does seem to cut a lot of that crap out. I will be doing my first track weekend in almost a year on feb 6 &7. It has been a long road, but glad to be getting back out there.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
i feel the other way, stunt riding parking lot and street, i feel faster with out all the stuff on. at least the boots, they kill me on the track with slower shifting and ect cause there so restrictive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts