Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
i use the regular royal purple 10w-40. i like it. i tried the shell rotella full syn. but did not like it. looked dirty real fast in the sight glass. so im back to royal purple now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Eh i had a bad experience with RP with my car so i don't use it anymore.

I ran a 5w-30 and changed it at 2500 miles (like i do all new oils) for a UOA.
Blackstone came back and said it had sheared to around a 20w. The oil was too thin for the FLA heat and should not be run.

Reading more on the oil a BITOG it has mucho shearing issues. It is a very thin oil. Hence the extra couple hp and fuel economy. Well marketed thin oil. No dobt its quality but a thin oil isn't something you necassaryily want to run....unless your in alaksa and the oil (can only speak for the 5w-30) temp never goes above 200.

I have never had any bad luck with M1 4 cycle race 10w-40 or whatever its called.
Always good UOAs from blackstone.

The Shell Rotella is an excellent oil in cars (esp. turbocharged). Well the 5w-40. Because its super hearty and thick. The German Castrol.
It appears to get dirty easily but trust me the Flashpoint and viscosity is still there. A very stable oil. Never tired running it in a bike though.

If your not cheap i would suggest Motul or Amsoil over anything else.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i don't trust royal purple for that reason, the extra power from a thinner oil. i run kawichem from the dealer or if they're out i run the synthetic suzuki oil. i rather spend a few extra bucks and have peace of mind than run royal purple.

i tried running royal purple in my car years ago when it first came out and couldn't tell a difference in power either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been using the Shell Rotella (5w-40) and I'm very happy w/it. It's cheap and the bike seems to be shifting more smoothly since I switched.
I run it in the car but a little scared to try it in the bike. How long have you been running it?
Does it do well in the heat?
It would make it a hell of a lot easier to run rotella in the car and bike. :lol:

i don't trust royal purple for that reason, the extra power from a thinner oil. i run kawichem from the dealer or if they're out i run the synthetic suzuki oil. i rather spend a few extra bucks and have peace of mind than run royal purple.

i tried running royal purple in my car years ago when it first came out and couldn't tell a difference in power either.
How much does the Kawichem run ($)?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I run it in the car but a little scared to try it in the bike. How long have you been running it?
Does it do well in the heat?
It would make it a hell of a lot easier to run rotella in the car and bike. :lol:
I switched over in April. I just did my third change w/it. I haven't noticed any problems w/it and I have been known to abuse my bike, just a pinch.:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been using the Shell Rotella (5w-40) and I'm very happy w/it. It's cheap and the bike seems to be shifting more smoothly since I switched.
I may run the Rotella myself with this next upcoming oil change. I usually run Mobil1 MX4T in whatever weight i can find 10-30 or 20-50. I only run the 20-50 in Arizona summers.

Does Rotella come in the higher weights? I'm thinking 20-50 range. It's crazy hot here in Phoenix.

From what i saw in one oil test I don't think Motul is as great as oil as they want you to think. just imo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.