Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys get a lot of backfire(popping)and/or fireballs shooting out of your pipes??? I heard its normal for this to happen every once and a while but it seems as though its happening more often than not on my bike. Is anyone else experiencing this also?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Remove the KLEEN valves. do a search for this & you will see.
This is an emisions requirement that introduces fresh air into the exhaust to burn unspent gas. Same thing as a PAIR valve on a suzuki.
Check for air leaks on the slip-on connection.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are no leaks on the exhaust or slip-on connection, if the bike continues to shoot fireballs, will it fuck up the bike down the road?? Please explain further about the KLEEN valves!! How will removing them help solve this problem??

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I sent Dan Kyle an email on this, here it is:

I have an ’03 zx6r with a 2 Bros. (couldn’t justify any full systems) slip-on. Went riding last night and a fellow rider said he saw some flames coming out of the exhaust. Does this mean running rich on the gas? Is it time for a power commander?

Dan's response:

No, the bike at certain temps and usally after a full throttle run will go very rich and cause the flames. I do recommend a PC anyway, but not for that reason.

Hope this helps:D

·
Registered
298 Posts
so does this mean that more then likely when buying a slip on(any brand) that you would have to get a power commander and/or remove the kleen?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
No. With slip-ons, you don't need one. I however am going to get one for various reasons and to improve throttle response.

Don't know about removing the Kleen valves, haven't investigated yet. Rob Lee, where are you?:D

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Whenever you alter the airflow (which would include installing a slip-on), it is wise to get a Power Commander (or a jet kit should you have a bike with a carbureted engine). It just comes down to what alters the airflow the most. Obviously, a full system is going to do this more than a slip-on, and that is why most people say it is required to have a PC with a full exhaust; yet while most will say that it is not required to have a PC with just a slip-on since you are not changing the headers. So, while not necessarily a must, it is still best to have a PC if you have a slip-on because the airflow is still being changed from the original calibration. A PC will stop the backfiring and flame-shooting problems, so if you are having those problems, you should get a PC. If you have a slip-on and are not having those problems, then no, you really don't need a PC. All that aside, though, it is still a good idea to have a PC even if you don’t see signs of needing one.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
This is getting to be a very common topic (PCIII's)... don't be afraid to use the search button... TONS of info on exhausts, PCIII's, air filters, oils, etc etc etc...

Make use of the volumes of discussion available to you if you really wanna educate yourself on a particular topic.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i have a yosh slip on on my 03' & it backfires/flames all the time. I'm practicing 1st and 2nd gear wheelies and after i land it backfires everytime. Also it's happening more often with regular riding than it did when i first got it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I purchused a two brothers carbon fiber slip on and put it on my 636 it back fired like a mofo and was spewing blue flames out the back. Per advise from this forum I simply removed the kleen air system, and it completely took care of the problem as well as improved (In my opinion) throttle response and quickness overall. Power commander is nice, as I got one of those to. But, if you want to fix the problem you don't need one. Just remove the kleen system and it will be fine.

Originally posted by speedvlaze

May I suggest a Power Commander??

LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by mac

i have a yosh slip on on my 03' & it backfires/flames all the time. I'm practicing 1st and 2nd gear wheelies and after i land it backfires everytime. Also it's happening more often with regular riding than it did when i first got it.
I also have a yosh slip on, and my situation is exactly the same as yours, everytime i come down from a wheelie i get the backfire/flame. Maybe its only happening with yosh slip ons, is anyone with a different brand of slip on having this problem?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.