Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What specific effects did it have on your handling? I ask this because I'm about 200 w/gear, and cranking up the preload alot might take the spring out of it's usable travel range, because I believe the stock springs are progressive ones. Anyway, I've got an appointment next week with a tuning/race shop to get my sag set for $30. I hope it will be worth it.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Well I'm just a bit heavier than you, and my 03 636 was a bit stiff even for me. When I set the preload right it cut down on a lot of the rough-road jitters from the front end at lean, and the bike just has a more 'even' turn in...it's hard to explain in terms of how it feels, but the front and the rear are loaded in tune with eachother as the lean angle increases, and it makes for more confidence and a better overall feel...it really changed the dynamics of aggressive riding for me. For $30, the effects and knowing it was done right are definately worth it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
very true .. you are a big guy so setting sag to proper may put it out of its range so to speak... you have 2 types of sag with and with out rider...
do with out first... youll have a range to set it to if you cant set rider sag and keep without in this range you need a stiffer spring...same goes for front

by setting sag properly you are making sure the shock is in its optimal damping range and not at either extreme
this is ALWAYS the FIRST thing you should do (besides making sure tyres and good and at right pressure) before you adjust any damping settings

once sag is set go for middle of the range on compression/rebound and see how it rides.... then adjust from there

ie if it runs wide exiting a corner on an open throttle adjust increase rear compression and or decrease front rebound as needed.... adjust one setting at time and only by small amounts (2 clicks)

do this while ridding a well known road with all sorts of turn types and road surface over and over.. adjust and ride over and over again see if it got better or worse..... its free but it takes time when its dialed in ts worth it

by spending a few hundred on a properly sprung/dampened bike you will gain MUCH more speed in the corners than the few HP a new exhaust will give you and thats what sport bikes are all about... the corners!!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I've read a lot about the sag and want to put my $$$ in suspension/tires with this bike. In the past it was always pipe/dyno tune and that was it. Oh I'm only 185 w/out gear, so even with gear I'm hoping for a reasonable setting. It's when the weight gets up around 220 that the problems arise...plus my plan is to lose 20 lbs in the next several months.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Originally posted by slabuda

by setting sag properly you are making sure the shock is in its optimal damping range and not at either extreme
That's basically it. you're setting a good starting point where you have much better range for fine tuning. Setting your suspension properly is definitely worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.