Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't ride anywhere without full gear, but does riding with a backpack defeat the purpose of wearing all my gear? I guess I just imagine a backpack increasing the risk of my spine getting snapped in the event that I land on my back during an accident. Do backpacks pose a realistic injury risk? Thanks.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
I'm not sure if it increases the chances, but wear a back protector and that's gotta help a bit. I myself hate wearing a backpack while riding, I find it very constrictive ontop of my leathers and back protector. Only when I know I need stuff to change into or if I ride home from work and need my laptop will I ride with a pack on my back.

strat

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Actually never even thought about that. I ride with a back-pack every day to work but I actually took the back protector out of my jacket...

I guess it depends on what you have in there. Most of the time I just have a shirt in there that I need for work or my cover. Can't imagine that that would do any damage to your back.

Sharp objects though....that might. Depending on what type of fall you have.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
i have an icon backpack that has a back protector built in. i take the protector out of my jacket when i use the backpack.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
I've wondered the same thing myself. I often ride with a backpack, especially if I'm going to be out past sunset and need to pack my clear face shield. When I went down a few months ago, I was wearing my backpack and didn't have any problems (at least not from the backpack) but I didnt really have anything in there either. Guess it all depends on how you land.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
i worry sometimes when i transport my laptop and other supplies that if i land on my back, i'll crack a rib on the heavy stuff. but the back protector gives me some comfort. that foamy stuff is supposed to help disperse impacts.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I ride witha backpack pretty often for my 45 min commute to Des Moines, and I feel like it might help me out in an accident because of the extra "padding", but maybe I've got it all wrong too.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Unless you're toting bricks, I don;t know that I'd worry to much. Heck, in some cases, a backpack might help more than it hinders. Depends on the impact I guess. A good rule of themb though is: Don;t crash...lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I sometimes pick up some groceries and carry them in my backpack. I ride extra carefully on the way home because I am carrying a family pack of pork chops, or a whole chicken, or four steaks and most definitely a 12-pack of Heinekin or Beck's or St.Pauli Girl beer! Ain't no way I'm letting anything happen to that good beer!

·
Registered
916 Posts
what about that backpack that has like a plastic cover with an areo dynamic shape to it, I think those come with protectors don't they?

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
i also ride w/ a backpack alot, and i think it would actually help in a crash. Iless you have some hard, odd shaped objects, i would think the extra padding would help

·
Registered
375 Posts
I ride with a backpack often since I use my bike to commute to and from school. The only problem I have had is one time I left the zippers near the top instead of down one side or the other. At 90 mph, this can cause the wind to open the zippers on the backpack and the dumping your stuff. This happened to me once. I got off the freeway one night on the way home from school and a nice person in an SUV pointed out my backpack was unzipped. As soon as I could, I checked and saw that I had lost some stuff.

I am paranoid now about making sure that my backpack is zipped up down one side or the other and not at the top.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You just shouldn't put anything too bulky in your backpack and using a biking backpack will do wonders.....used a Kriega R35 for a 600 mile day trip to germany the other day, perfect, even at about 140mph.

www.kriega.com

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just got a FOX Racing backpack to place my school book and computer in but damn it a killer on the back.

GreenEnvy: Cargo nets don't they sratch your paint?

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by tazman34685
Just got a FOX Racing backpack to place my school book and computer in but damn it a killer on the back.

GreenEnvy: Cargo nets don't they sratch your paint?

Nope, I don't know why most people strap them under the tail, because that will scratch/rub the paint. I attach mine under the passenger seat, so the whole thing never touches the paint.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.