Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my frame sliders in, but am a little concerned about the install. I know I have to pull the exposed engine bolet on each side, but will I have to support the engine or anything first? That looks like a pretty substantial mount point for the engine.

Second, What do I need to pull the damn thing? I can't do it with an allen key, but will I be OK with a hex driver and a good sized socket or breaker bar, or do I need air tools?

TIA.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Mikey, don't sweat it as there's not too much involved in doing the frame sliders. You don't need to remove the fairings, let alone the whole motor.

A hex drive and a torque wrench is all you'll need. DO ONE SIDE AT A TIME. Do NOT loosen both sides simultaneously as you risk unsettling the motor and you'll have a hellova time trying to get those bolts back in place.

Do the left side first. Upon removing the bolt there's a locknut on the other side that may or may not fall out, you'll have to reach in there to hold it in place while you put the new bolt in place.

Repeat the same procedure on the right side once you've finished on the left side.

Torque both bolts down to 44n/m

If you have any trouble send me a note or leave a post. Hope this helps!:)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I don't have my torque wrench around (in storage), so I may have to buy another one. That sucks, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right? :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by Mikey
Thanks for the tip. I don't have my torque wrench around (in storage), so I may have to buy another one. That sucks, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right? :)
i just used a pipe and used the allen wrench that came with the bike tools...it was pretty tight on there, but i did it when the motor was completely cold...i think if you warmed it up a bit like a min. it would be easier...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I used a 1/2" drive breaker bar on mine and they broke loose relatively easy. They weren't loose by any means, but I did not have the trouble I've seen alot of guys mention. I imagine that if I had used a 3/8" drive ratchet, they might have been a bitch to remove.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.